What is the best regulator for cold water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ultimate for cold or even ice diving is the Poseidon Xtreme, in this navy test article I read before, it was the only reg to never freeflow:

"At the other end of the spectrum, the Poseidon Xstreme was the only regulator that suffered no free flows at McMurdo, and is also the only regulator that never free flowed during NEDU's rigorous 2004 testing program for cold water regulators." (about 80% down in the article)

The United States Navy Experimental Diving Unit: Testing in Antartica

I've dove my Zeagle Flathead down to about 34 degrees and haven't had a problem with it....

An old Cyclon 300 ... really!

The Royal Aqua Master (or Phoenix RAM)... both the first stage and second stage are environmentally sealed. During normal operation, water never touches any moving part.

I dive in the Great Lakes and have had very good experience with Apeks regs as have many other divers I know. I have had them down to 33 degrees in fresh water and 30 in salt water with no issues.

A Mares MR22 Abyss. I also dive the Great Lakes and have never had any issues with it, and the Abyss doesn't need a cold water kit.

I would take any of these regulators for cold water use without a second's hesitation:

Anti-Freeze

I have owned aqualung legend lx, all kinds of apeks and they are totally reliable regs.

I would also second the scubapro mk17/g250v.

SangP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom