Just another question I'm hoping someone would be kind enough to answer = )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moogster

New
Reaction score
hi everyone,

I've got a problem, and I'm hoping someone out there has a nice, cost effective solution. I've recently looked into getting certified as a diver, but am not too sure yet. So I am looking for a fun recreational tool for my swimming pool, that would allow someone to stay under water for extended amounts of time. Time in itself doesn't matter really, such as a spare air, which gives, from what I've read, 30, to 50 breathes would be just fine. The idea is to simulate diving. I've looked around for about half a year from time to time, searching without hope for a cheap solution. I even recently searched this board to no real avail about a similar problem/answer.
So here is what I have found. To either use a Snuba, a Spare Air, or some type of Hookah device. Only the spare air required no real tubes, so it became my first research choice. From what I've read, a spare air isn't that safe in deep water, but for a 10 foot pool, it is more than enough. The ease of use, and about of air it provides would be more than suffice. However, it is the refilling method that would be too hard. From what I'ved read, it is only refillable by another scuba tank, and that scuba tank needs to be filled, from a local scuba store, which also needs to see a license to refill. It seems too much trouble for my means. So my question with the spare air is, if I were to purchase a couple, how would I be able to refill them at home. Cheaply. And where online would I be able to find such a tool.
About the Snuba and Hookah devices, it seems like they cost awfully a lot for just a pump and tubes. I was wondering how hard it would be to create such a device for two people, from just an air compressor. Are there things that I may not be thinking about that may affect my progress?
So I hope someone has thought of this silly but fun idea before so that they may provide some insight on how such an idea would run. Shouldn't seem to hard to me, considering all I want to do is breathe underwater in a pool safely...but i'm not sure of any problems. If anyone has any ideas as to do this, or any easier setup than I have already provided, please inform me. Any information would help,

Sincerely,
John

moogster once bubbled...
hi everyone,

I've got a problem, and I'm hoping someone out there has a nice, cost effective solution. I've recently looked into getting certified as a diver, but am not too sure yet. So I am looking for a fun recreational tool for my swimming pool, that would allow someone to stay under water for extended amounts of time. Time in itself doesn't matter really, such as a spare air, which gives, from what I've read, 30, to 50 breathes would be just fine. The idea is to simulate diving. I've looked around for about half a year from time to time, searching without hope for a cheap solution. I even recently searched this board to no real avail about a similar problem/answer.
So here is what I have found. To either use a Snuba, a Spare Air, or some type of Hookah device. Only the spare air required no real tubes, so it became my first research choice. From what I've read, a spare air isn't that safe in deep water, but for a 10 foot pool, it is more than enough. The ease of use, and about of air it provides would be more than suffice. However, it is the refilling method that would be too hard. From what I'ved read, it is only refillable by another scuba tank, and that scuba tank needs to be filled, from a local scuba store, which also needs to see a license to refill. It seems too much trouble for my means. So my question with the spare air is, if I were to purchase a couple, how would I be able to refill them at home. Cheaply. And where online would I be able to find such a tool.
About the Snuba and Hookah devices, it seems like they cost awfully a lot for just a pump and tubes. I was wondering how hard it would be to create such a device for two people, from just an air compressor. Are there things that I may not be thinking about that may affect my progress?
So I hope someone has thought of this silly but fun idea before so that they may provide some insight on how such an idea would run. Shouldn't seem to hard to me, considering all I want to do is breathe underwater in a pool safely...but i'm not sure of any problems. If anyone has any ideas as to do this, or any easier setup than I have already provided, please inform me. Any information would help,

Sincerely,
John

I would strongly discourage using a compressed air cylinder if you are going to play around unsupervised or unattended. A lung overexpansion injury (if you don't know what one is just ask) could occur with a Spareair in a swimming pool just as easily as it could with a standard scuba tank. All it takes is one breathe.

Check one of your local dive training facilities and see if they offer an intro to scuba program. Usually you get a pool session to play around on scuba gear under the direct supervision of someone who is qualified to teach scuba. Most intro programs are very inexpensive.

Happy bubble blowing

I second what Chris is saying.

The danger of embolism is greatest shallow and a few feet of water is all it takes. A Spare Air or Third Lung is more than enough to kill you.

Look around for a shop that offers free intros.

Oh man is that scary........

I totally agree with the last two guys. All it takes is one breath from any compressed air set-up at depth for an embolism to occur.

The problem is in What You Don't Know.

Take a scuba course, just the OW, and you'll realize the folly of you thinking.

Any compressor other than that designed for "breathing air" would be suicide.

Don't do it man.

moogster once bubbled...
hi everyone,

Sincerely,
John

What about just learning how to snorkel? ... oh and welcome back "JOHN" :)

R..

wow, sorry to apparently ask such an ignornant question. Didn't think my ignorance would lead to pulmonary embolism though. Although I know embolism, being a premed, I don't fully grasp how within ten feet that is achieved. If over expansion of the lung is the problem, I can understand the situation. But isn't that what a mouth piece regulator is for? Anyways, I know I am somehow missing the point, but I shall try and restate my original question.

How is one to breathe underwater in a pool, for extended periods of time. If that were the only goal, how would that be achieved. I was originally thinking of the spare air as I said in the other post, but safety is a major concern, (thanks guys). But how about a simple air pump, which would pump air through a tube which could be inhaled at the bottom of the pool. Or am I missing something again. sorry for my many questions, I would just prefer to understand my situation completely before attempting anything costly, obsurd, or dare we say, another darwin award act, heh. Thanks again for the replys

Sincerely,
John

moogster once bubbled...
wow, sorry to apparently ask such an ignornant question. Didn't think my ignorance would lead to pulmonary embolism though. Although I know embolism, being a premed, I don't fully grasp how within ten feet that is achieved. If over expansion of the lung is the problem, I can understand the situation. But isn't that what a mouth piece regulator is for? Anyways, I know I am somehow missing the point, but I shall try and restate my original question.

How is one to breathe underwater in a pool, for extended periods of time. If that were the only goal, how would that be achieved. I was originally thinking of the spare air as I said in the other post, but safety is a major concern, (thanks guys). But how about a simple air pump, which would pump air through a tube which could be inhaled at the bottom of the pool. Or am I missing something again. sorry for my many questions, I would just prefer to understand my situation completely before attempting anything costly, obsurd, or dare we say, another darwin award act, heh. Thanks again for the replys

Sincerely,
John

John,

You are apparently looking for entry level diving instruction on the web.

That can get you killed.

As a pre-med student, you should be well aware that embolism is a volume change problem and not a pressure change problem. The shallower you are, the worse it is.

The problems don't end there.

How much is your life worth? Is it worth less than the $200 or so it will cost you to get Open Water certified? I suspect not.

Give yourself a chance to have a long and prosperous career. Go take a SCUBA intro and find out some of what you don't know. If you look around, you'll find a free one.

moogster once bubbled...

Sincerely,
John

An over expansion injury can occur in as shallow as 3 feet of water. You could lie on your stomach in the shallow end, take a deep breath from a compressed air source and stand up rapidly while holding your breath and embolize.

You've stated your goal as being able to breathe underwater in a pool for extended periods of time, but neglected to establish exactly why. That may be pertinient to answering your question. There may be other choices available, depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

Do you know of any scuba instructors that would lend you some gear and have you sit in a pool with them for a little while?

As long as you don't bolt to the top of a swimming pool while holding your breath - trying out scuba in a pool is very easy and safe so go and make friends with an instructor and persuade them to help you out.

I find that buying someone beer will often get you where you need to go...

I would think that making your own little underwater breathing device would be a lot of hassle and could be potentially dangerous.

Unless you pump air from the surface down a piece of hose (and I'm not sure how you would do that properly!) the dead air space in the hose will mean your concentration of CO2 being inhaled will get higher and higher ..... I think that could cause you to pass out!!

If you are not sure you like being underwater - try snorkelling and free diving first.

If you really want to do it....

You could use a (clean!) piece of hosing (like a bit garden hose pipe - no longer that 6ft) and breathe in through your mouth (using the hose) and out through your nose while sitting in in the shallow end (you might need to wear some weights to help you stay sitting on the bottom - only 4 pounds or so)..... just make sure if you come up - you breathe out and don't hold your breath.

Don't do this in the deep end cos it is harder to breathe from a surface supplied hose when you are deeper unless someone is pumping it down to you...(like in the early days of diving)

Also if you wanted to wear a mask that seals up your nose... you could just take the hose in and out of your mouth. Just make sure you don't exhale into the hose. Or you could breath out of your nose through the mask but this may cause it to leak.

I would recommend you do this while someone is with you to watch out for you.... you should be no deeper than 4ft of water so they could just reach down and pull you up if they needed to...and also they can stand next to you and hold the hose out of the water.

It would enable you to be under water for as long as you wanted to be, so you could get used to the feeling of breathing underwater. Although breathing off a regulator will feel different, so I would still advise you make friends with a SCUBA instructor if possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom