LDS class prices...please advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 Bar

Reaction score
Does this sound right? I'm new so I don't know.

I paid $190 for my Open Water Certification classes. That includes 3 classroom sessions, 3 pool sessions (including pool rental), and equipment rental for the pool sessions.

For my check out dives we're doing a weekend at Dutch Springs. I am being charged $140 for the tuition, but I am being charged to rent my epuipment from my lds seperately for these dives.

I'm a training to be certified, of course I don't have scuba gear yet. Why would the class fee include equipment rental in the pool and not in my check out dives?

In all fairness I am getting their student rental discount: $80 for a scuba unit, 7mm, and hood for 2 days. But the lds convinced me I need a 3mm for the cold pool sessions and for my November Cozumel trip. I bought that from them. But now they are charging me for a 7mm rental because they take perform checkouts at Dutch Springs.

As for the scuba gear, wouldn't one want to get certified first before going out spending that much money?
:bang:

My wife and I paid $195/each for the course (including all required materials) + $55/each for rentals for the entire course (4 class, 2 pool and 2 OW sessions). Our last certification dive was off a boat and that was an extra $95/each (but was an option that the class voted for).

It seems like you got a better deal for the class!

As far as gear ... I think trying Scuba first is a wise choice as the costs add up quickly. One LDS that we went to wanted us to buy all our gear as they didn't rent gear any longer. We told them we didn't have the funds and the owner promptly told us about financing options (w/ a calculator). We declined because we didn't want to buy all that equipment until we tried it. As far as I'm concerned, I won't know if I like it until I try it - but I loved it as I though I would and now we own most of our own equipment :)

$195 sounds fair for a total package.

If my neighbor wanted to get certified, I'd loan him enough gear. He wouldn't be renting any.

Why should the package price include gear when some don't need it? The shop has to pay for the rental gear somehow.

I think you did okay.

...SOP for open water dives is for students to rent the full set of gear, or they may have bought their own gear by the time of the OW dives. There is usually a fee charged for this. OW dives and rental equipment are two separate things. The BC, Air Delivery, cylinders and weights are included for the pool portion, because most people have not bought their gear before the pool sessions. The equipment is not included in the OW portion, because some people actually BUY their own gear for the OW dives, and why should it be included, if some people buy it? Its a sales tactic to get you to buy equipment basically...

But think about it this way, if you are going to be a diver, you really need to own your own equipment. You will never become a proficient diver, and become comfortable with the equipment if you are always renting gear. Just MHO...

I can understand what you mean. Some ppl bought epuipment so rent it seperate. However, I just feel overwhelmed at all these fees one after the other.

Besides, I don't plan on buying the most expensive part of the gear until after I am certified. What if I can't complete the OW dives for some reason and stop there? At least with the other equipment which I DID buy, I could snorkel with or surf.

I just bought a mask, snorkel, boots, fins, wetsuit, bag, and a dive log holder. I still need to buy gloves because they don't rent them. Besides the OWC classes tuition fee, besides the Padi book / DVD package cost, besides the checkout dive tuition fee, besides the quarry entrance fee for 2 days, besides the air refill fees, and besides the hotel room bill I thought they would provide you will the scuba gear you need to learn with as part of their tuition, just because I am not certified yet.

As far as the shop paying for the rental gear, I am sure after all these years and all their students paying hundreds of dollars for various courses, the equipment is fully paid off. I can totally see them saying the day you get OWC, "Look you're responsible for yourself as a diver now that we got you to be a certified diver. When you go for AOW or Rescure Diver or Dive Master, etc. you will have to provide yourself with equipment whether you buy it or rent it through us."

Also, if the gear rental should be seperate because someone may have bought it, what about the pool sessions where I might have borrowed equipment from my friend. Could I pay less because I don't need their gear? That won't happen. Also, if I had to only rent a BC or just a 7mm, or just a regulator there is only one price for renting. If I go out and buy a BC today I will pay the same rental fee to rent less gear.

If this is the way it is than I accept it. It just sounds strange to me that when you start they tell you to buy so much from them and the scuba unit is covered in the class fee, but the 2nd class fee you pay BEFORE certification won't include the scuba unit.

Whether I agree or not, thanks for advising me that this is the norm. At least I don't feel ripped off, since this is the way for everyone. I'll learn as I go. I'm just confused at how things work.

.... is pretty standard in the northeast, some ppl elect to do the class here and do the check out dives on vacation. That is why stores charge seperately for OW dive and rental (some stores just give one lump sum fee for both OW and rental). At this point you should be thinking like a diver if you don't own it,can't borrow it, you have to rent it. You should not be going out to OW if you are not ready to dive, so the thought of not be able to pass should be remote (it can happenthough ). Best of luck.

where I am it is pretty standard to include all rental costs into the price of the course. Of course you are encouraged to buy your own mask and fins to start with but nothing else until you are certified and plan to continue. Some schools I know charge a flat rate which includes *everything* including air fills and entrance fees for OW. As with anything though it is what you agree with your LDS. I think the main issue would be whether they mislead you regards the costs and lead you to believe certain things would be included in costs. When I did my OW we were all told that once we handed over the cheque we would have nothing else to pay except accomadation costs on our OW and we didn't :wink:

2 of the shops here in the Orlando area (both NAUI) here is how they shape up:

Shop A:

OW class: $210, includes all books & materials, rental equip, 2 boat dives, lake dives, pool sessions. Student must provide weight, belt, mask, fins, snorkle

Shop B:

OW: $99, includes 2 boat dives, lake dives, pool sessions. Student must provide all gear, books & materials.
Gear rent (for OW): $65
Books (for OW): $65

SO, you see, it varies. Shop B has a huge sign out front that says "Learn to SCUBA $99!" They get you in with the low advertised price, and then hit you with the other charges. IMO, shop A is the way to go, and they do get most of my business fror trips, gear and they are the ones I send friends to.

Get used to it. Diving is expensive. I have more in my diving than I do in my house.

2 Bar once bubbled...
Does this sound right? I'm new so I don't know.

I paid $190 for my Open Water Certification classes. That includes 3 classroom sessions, 3 pool sessions (including pool rental), and equipment rental for the pool sessions.

For my check out dives we're doing a weekend at Dutch Springs. I am being charged $140 for the tuition, but I am being charged to rent my epuipment from my lds seperately for these dives.

I'm a training to be certified, of course I don't have scuba gear yet. Why would the class fee include equipment rental in the pool and not in my check out dives?

In all fairness I am getting their student rental discount: $80 for a scuba unit, 7mm, and hood for 2 days. But the lds convinced me I need a 3mm for the cold pool sessions and for my November Cozumel trip. I bought that from them. But now they are charging me for a 7mm rental because they take perform checkouts at Dutch Springs.

As for the scuba gear, wouldn't one want to get certified first before going out spending that much money?
:bang:

So, $410 for everything? Did that include books, tables, logbook?
Sounds about right. I've seen it range between $300 - $500.
There's a shop in central NJ that will do everything for $288.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom