BP/W question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Light Eternal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, I am a relatively new diver looking to buy my first set of gear. I am wondering if there is a bp/w setup that I can use in the cold ohio water (drysuit) as well as on vacation (3 mil or less wetsuit). I would like to spend as little money as possible but at the same time I am willing to spend what is necessary to get a durable setup. Thanks in advance!

Also if you need any other information feel free to ask. Thanks.

In short - yes, any bp&W will do that.

You just need to decide the wing capacity (30 or 40lb) and whether you want a steel or ali backplate.

A steel backplate is most optimum for drysuit diving, but will add a little more weight when you fly abroad.

For the wing capacity...take a look at the sticky 'wing lift calculator' thread.

I dive my Halcyon Eclipse 30 with a SS BP in local temperate waters (drysuit temps) and dive the same wing with an AL BP on warm water vacations. I'm very happy with the performance of my BP/W in both kinds of conditions.

I use my Halcyon SS plate and 30# Eclipse for warm water diving all the time. I use the same plate at home, usually with LP85s and and Evolve wing, with my dry suit.

As others have stated you can use a BP/W for any diving. Most will use the SS plate when in cold water to help reduce amount of lead needed. Not sure about other models but most likely offer something similiar but with the Halcyon there Eclipse system comes with a STA(Single Tank Adapter) Which can hold an extra 6lb lead weight which will allow for even less lead in belt or pouch and is easily removeable if going on a trip.

You could also buy two plates 1 Aluminum for vacations 1 SS for home diving. Look around the board and buy used and save some cash. Either one can be used for both, But if your looking to cut down travel weight go with Alumium, If your looking to cut down weight in pouch/belt go with SS.

But keep an eye on classifieds lots of great deals come up.

The wing doesn't care how cold the water is but if you are going to be using doubles for cold water/dry suit diving you will need two wings.

I am wondering if there is a bp/w setup that I can use in the cold ohio water (drysuit) as well as on vacation (3 mil or less wetsuit). I would like to spend as little money as possible but at the same time I am willing to spend what is necessary to get a durable setup.
I use a SS BP for all single tank diving, whether cold water / drysuit or warm water / 3mm wetsuit. I routinely travel with it, and don't find the extra 4 lbs (above an AL plate) to be a problem. (But, I also don't carry a lot of 'personal' items, and I use a cloth duffle bag, instead of a heavier hard case, for my gear.)

For most single tank diving, a 30lb wing is more than sufficient - you can use a larger wing, but it offers no particular advantage (although it may provide a possibly photogenic U/W 'taco' moment for other divers around you).

As for the 'as little money as possible' comment, you can go to eBay and buy used gear - a used SS BP, a used wing, etc. The savings on the BP will be modest but you can do that. For the harness, you can order online, or buy from your LDS, some 2" webbing, a waist buckle, and some D-rings, and make your own harness. Used wings are usually materially less expensive than new (on eBay, for example) although 1) the number of true single tank wings that show up is a bit limited, and 2) you always run a small risk of getting a poor unit when buying used. Over the years, I have purchased 6 wings on eBay, and only had a problem with one, where a plastic plastic tie-wraps holding the LPI on the corrugated hose failed the first time I used the wing. Other than that I recommend buying used as as an option to at least consider.

Last edited:
I just listed a DSS LCD 30 singles wing that does not need an STA in the classifeds. (Look for posts by me.) I can sell you a new SS plate (not DSS) for another 75. Add a hanress kit from Pirahna for 40 bucks, and two cambands from them for another 45 for the steel buckle ones or find a couple plastic ones for half that and you have a complete set up that will do whatever you want for single tank diving for a long time. total cost 180 for the wing, 75 for the plate- shipping is free equals 255. plus 40 for 295 plus the cambands another 20-45 or so. Complete setup for less than 350 bucks.

Steel plate would be nice to use on warm water vacation diving because the rental tanks tend to be aluminum tanks. Though it does tack on baggage weight.

There's always the aluminum plate/plastic plate route and just carry more weight when diving drysuit at home.

Jim, that sounds great and very reasonable. Can you translate for me though? What dies sta stand for and what are cambands? Also despite being female I pack light so an extra 4 pounds should be no problem. As for the bp I assume there are different sizes? Is there a foolproof way to figure that out without trying one on?

Back
Top Bottom