Bored???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Snowing pretty good yesterday when I dove Lake Coeur d' Alene, Id. Thought I'd try under the docks by the resort (an area too busy to dive during good weather) and look for stuff. Lots of lawn chairs, B-B-qs, rope, chain, dishes... Found a small barge wreck I never knew was there with a school of bass who scooted off in suprize when then saw me. I brought back a full bottle of champagne I found for my neighbor.
The dry suit did well, but the wet gloves have to go. It was 24 degrees as I was suiting up and of course my gloves were still wet from the last dive. I set them on the bumper and by the time I put them on, ice was forming on the outside. It was like putting my hands into an ice bucket (forgot the thermos of hot water :()
A few people drove by and did double takes of me, shaking their heads. One guy came up and asked if I was OK. Suh-suh-suh-sure, I said. I turned my air on just before entering and stuck my reg and inflator right into the water to prevent freeze up. My computer died about 3 minutes into the dive. No problem, I have a backup. Left back in the truck... Oh well. That left me with just an SPG and compass (just like the old days). So I kept my depth shallow - less than 40 feet - and did a nice long, slow accent, then a slow count to 180 at 15 feet. I came up and did a short surface swim, watching the snow glide down and melt on the water's gray, mirrored surface. So quiet... As I came out, my wife handed me a hot, triple Mocha...Ahhhhh.... Best drink I ever had. She said I was down about an hour. Amazing how different time seemed to flow without a timer.
I'm diving the Spokane River tonight with a buddy who wants to work on his video camera focus skills. Right now it's 33 degrees, but supposed to hit a low of 18. Guess I'd better not forget the hot water for my gloves.
In another thread someone asked about getting bored of diving.

You've got to be kidding...

burrrrr

I mean - dang. I was out this weekend and it was 64 degrees at 80+ feet in So Cal.

Frozen gloves...

burrrrr.

K

64° and you're complaining?

It was 51° and 48° this weekend on the two dives I did.......

I remembered the hot water.

I'm a long way from actual ice diving however.

The water temperatures I find are not the problem. I can deal with that. It's the surface intervals that can get pretty frosty.

Time to put up the dive gear and ski schweitzer!! I used to live in Pullman and drove to schweitzer twice a week to ski. You are a brave man diving in those waters. It would be fun to dive around the floating green at the resort.

Tony.

We just scheduled our ice diving weekend extravaganza for first weekend of March. It will be my first and I am very excited!!! By the way, I have heard that Oceanic regs are not adviseable for cold water diving (free-flowing and the likes) any comments??? Will my Delta hold up???

divinglife once bubbled...
We just scheduled our ice diving weekend extravaganza for first weekend of March. It will be my first and I am very excited!!! By the way, I have heard that Oceanic regs are not adviseable for cold water diving (free-flowing and the likes) any comments??? Will my Delta hold up???

From what I hear, Delta 3s should be fine with an environmental 1st.

You might want to ask on the Regulators forum though if you haven't already.

Diverlady

DivingLife,

I found this on Oceanics webpage under Delta 3 details:

COLDWATER PROTECTION
Coupled with the environmentally protected DX4 first stage, the Delta 3 provides uniform performance in a wide range of temperature extremes.

There may be more info in the Owner's Manual.

Diverlady

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom