What to Do About Excess Strap Material on DUI Weight System?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anomalydesign

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm moving towards a BP/W setup from using jacket BCDs, and recently bought a DUI Weight and Trim 2 to use with thick wetsuits for local diving. I know that the weight belts are the preferred standard that most suggest, but integrated weights were one of the few features I really liked about the jacket BCDs. I thought about putting weight pockets on my BP/W harness, but would rather keep the weights on my self to better float the harness (and not float myself if I have to take of the rig underwater for some reason!).

I went by the DUI sizing guidelines and bought an XXL W&T2, based on the fact that I'm 6'3, 210, and DUI recommends the XXL for anyone over 6'. The system fits well when adjusted, and I can move the weights from up on my waist to low on my hips, which should help me adjust my trim. The problem is that with the straps cinched-up, I have a lot of extra webbing dangling everywhere. Each of the shoulder straps has about 10" hanging loose, and the straps on either side of the waist buckle have about 6". I'm not comfortable with that much dangling, especially when I'm going to be wearing the BP/W harness over top.

So how should I manage this? I could try a smaller size harness, but the back of the W&T2 fits the way it should, and according to DUI that's the most important part of the fitment. Should I cut the excess straps off? Is there a preferred way of controlling the excess, either by threading some SS hardware or using ties/tubing/velcro etc? Any advice is appreciated, as I really like the overall design of the system, but the dangling straps are undercutting the whole streamlining goal I had going to a BP/W.

A piece of inner tube or duct tape on each side is how I corrected that issue.

Cutting the strap is an option. There are pros and cons to this.

A short length of bicycle innertubing can be used to retain the excess strap. Obviously, this would be a non-permanent change.

If I were you, I'd get creative with a little duct tape. Black-colored duct tape can be used to gather up the excess strap and would be practically invisible.
Down the road, if you ever needed that extra strap length (for a bulky drysuit?), it would be there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom