Basic Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bensold

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello

A friend of mine is looking to buy a Dive Computer. She is only after a simple to use basic model (she doesn’t need to use it as a watch either) as she only really dives in the summer in the UK and maybe one warm holiday a year with a few days diving.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice reliable simple to use computer for her?

On another note im considering buying the Scubapro Meridian, anyone have any comments on this one? couldn’t find much on here, guess its because its pretty new. Ill be using it in Thailand, Oz, NZ etc so whatever computer I get will be a permanent fixture on my arm.

Thanks in advance for your comments

Lou
:)

I have had my Suunto Gecko, now called the Zoop, for 3 years with 150 dives on it. Not a single problem, same battery even. I know it is a conservative DC compared to others, but that has never been a problem for me.

I have a Gekko as well and have been mostly happy with it. My only complaint is its conservatism (No, I'm not reckless, this thing is REALLY conservative). It basically bumps the tables one notch to the conservative and on nitrox it adds a percentage to calculate MOD, which can make a big difference. If your buddy is diving another computer, you might be unpopular sometimes. You can adjust the conservatism, but only to make it more conservative. For me it's only been a problem a couple of times and other than that I'm happy with it. My wife has a Mares Puck, which is in the same league and seems to use the RDP tables straight-up so that when you do planning on it your NDLs look "normal", as does MOD in nitrox mode. If I had it to do again, I would probably go with the Puck between two of them. Alternatively, get two so you don't realize the difference.

I've been through a few different computers.

The most aggressive profiler (meaning longer dive times- especially repetitive dives) was the Aladdin Sport Pro. If I was only diving for myself, I'd use this computer. The cons were it wasn't Nitrox compatible, and you really, really needed to respect the information it was giving you. If you went in to Deco on this computer, you were on the edge.

I have owned a Suunto Vyper (excellent), Stinger (excellent watch-style) and now I have a Gecko. Suunto has a massive market-share on computers, and is readily servicable (battery replacement etc.) Most (if not all) have Nitrox mode. If you can find the Gecko, get it. They are steadily being replaced by the Zoop, which is basically the same thing. They are conservative but this is a good thing IMO. Recommended.

Hello

A friend of mine is looking to buy a Dive Computer. She is only after a simple to use basic model (she doesn’t need to use it as a watch either) as she only really dives in the summer in the UK and maybe one warm holiday a year with a few days diving.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice reliable simple to use computer for her?

On another note im considering buying the Scubapro Meridian, anyone have any comments on this one? couldn’t find much on here, guess its because its pretty new. Ill be using it in Thailand, Oz, NZ etc so whatever computer I get will be a permanent fixture on my arm.

Thanks in advance for your comments

Lou
:)

G'day, mate!

For your friend I recommend Mares Puck Wrist or Suunto Gekko or Suunto Zoop. They are all basic and user-friendly dive computers, have large and intuitive displays, with perfect user manuals. And prices are up to 300USD. Suunto Gekko doesn't support PC interface option for private use. So, she won't be able to download dive profiles to PC. It has on-unit memory capacity about 50 dive hours.

Scubapro Meridian review will be on Dive Computer Professional Reviews - Finding the Best Scuba Computers For You by the end of this month, when we get this dive computer from my mate.

Best to you!

Jay

I got an Oceanic Veo 100 when I was looking for the same thing. It's an end-of-life model and I got it for just $150 which I thought was an unbeatable price. I was really only looking for something like a combined bottom timer and depth gauge, but it does much more than that, it's a full blown but simple dive compter. Only thing it doesn't do is nitrox, but that's ok with me for now.

+1 on the Mares Puck, and its new more streamlined "replacement".

I've had a Gekko for a few years and I'm happy with it. My original battery is also still working (40 dives). As mentioned above, the new model is the Zoop which adds the ability to interface with a computer. Relative conservatism was mentioned... I think I got these charts from the Scuba Diving Magazine website. They show the dive profile allowed for different brands/models for the first dive and fourth repetitive dive.
dive 1.jpgdive 4.jpg

The old Gekko will download, you just have to keep telling the PC that it's really a Vyper it is connected to. Honest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom