Zeagle Express Tech vs Zeagle Wicked Lite for first travel BC (first BC ever actually

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaERDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi folks,

After renting gear for my first 50 dives, I'm putting my wallet on a serious diet and buying my first set of gear. Already got my first reg set (Apeks XTX50/Egress) and now looking for my first BCD.
I am hoping on traveling totally light, want to fit my gear and clothes in a carry-on roller and a backpack style fin and mask bag.
Do NOT like bulky BCDs and feel that the smaller rear inflate is the best option

Both the ET and the Wicked Lite seem to fit the bill.

ET seems to be an amazing value for a small excellently reviewed mini BC/W setup at $260, however I would like to use an integrated zip touch weight system ($69) which would bump the total to $329. Also I am warm enough to dive in skin in the 80 degree weather, but this is obviously not the condition everywhere. I read a previous poster state that the bare webbing was not too uncomfortable on skin (although have heard other opinions as well). My last concern was that there is still a rigid BP with this BC. I am worried that I wont be able to fold this up real small.

The Wicked Lite is obviously more pricy at $400, but includes in integrated weight system and and shoulder straps which seems more comfortable. And a lacks a rigid BP so "you can roll it to the size of a Sunday newspaper" It is also even lighter than the ET by one pound!!

Currently I am a frequent vacation diver and generally travel far to places where the water temp is 74-81. Oceans only. I plan to eventually dip my toes into the cold waters of Northern California, but that will be another project in the distant future.

Looks like I will need to cough up some more hard earned cash and go for the Wicked Lite...but wanted other opinions?

Anyone try both and can anyone compare???

haven't tried the wicked but have the ET and can't see any issue with it being packed up in a medium sized suitcase...i have the 44lb bladder so i imagine the 24lb version would pack even better. mine was shipped to me in one of the usps priority boxes and there was still room in the box for other stuff.

I'm considering the same two. It seems to me the advantage of the ET is that it is modular and cheaper. I was also concerned about the straps, for example, being too minimal and when I started thinking about padded straps and weight pockets the size and weight started to bother me and the price differential starts to narrow. Plus, while I like fexbility and modularity in principle, I'm not sure if at this point I would take advantage of it. If I really wanted to do doubles or something different wiht it, I'd probably just get another BC. I'm pretty sure the "one" perfect BC doesn't exist. I'm really curious to hear experiences with the Wicked Lite. I have this indelible picture of it rolled up like a newspapaper and since I mostly dive while traveling that is really important. So far, I haven't found a good, objective critique (or maybe it just really is the best thing ever, like all the promotional hype would lead you to believe!).

Personally I'd with go with the ET & no weight pockets.
1) I like the free feeling of webbing instead of buckles and sternum strap.
2) It's cheaper.
3) weight belt can be folder in a really small bundle, pockets take space.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

What I don't like about the Zeagle system (at a glance, I haven't used it)
1) BCD inflator hose lenght. Is that 16in or longer? I prefer 12in for singles. (adjustable)
2) Weight pockets (i find them bulky and annoying) (adjustable)
3) No Crotch-strap? (adjustable)
4) Too much lift in the wing (only on the Wicked one, ET is just perfect)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember, BCD are really over-priced. That's why they need to put "FEATURES" on to make you doubt and buy the more expensive one in "CASE" that you would need it.
Oh the lower-end does not have sternum strap (hate those), integrated weight-belts (hate those) ... ya I just noticed I'm getting grouchy and I'm not even old yet.

SO...
there are alternative to the Zeagle Tech BCD.
Travel Backplates
Light Travel Backplate (similar to Express tech, but Modular... just buy what you need)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the price they are selling it the Zeagle Express TECH looks like a good deal.

-New webbing does chafe, it's rough on the skin.
a) Wear a rash guard
b) buy shoulder pads for these systems... wouldn't recommend adding gear, try yo keep it minimalistic.

Webbing is tough, durable and easily replaced with minimal cost.
Webbing doesn't hurt if you have 1) Crotch Strap 2)A RIGID back-plate to use your back for tank stability.

Rigid BackPad:
The problem with soft back BCDs is that they support the weight of the tank SOLELY on the shoulder straps.
While with a rigid back it'll be like a lever system. You back will take a part of the weight and your shoulders will take the other. For this to work properly you need a crotch strap.

I WOULD NEVER BUY A SOFT-BACK BCD EVER AGAIN... :dork2:

NOTE: T-MAC, plese don't use the Express TECH with doubles :p, you'll probably hurt your back and go straight down the bottom with that lift

i did swap out the corrugated inflator hose on my ET for a shorter one...and the ET is a great deal when compared (price wise) to piecing together a "travel" bpw unless you find a used set up.

Yeah I agree that the ET looks like an amazing deal for a simple and reliable system. I think I'm gonna go ahead and just order it. Will get the basic setup and not the deluxe.

The only thing I need to decide now is weight belt or put in the zip-touch weight integrated pockets. I really hate weight belts but they are so much more affordable...

The Wicked Lite lacks an adjustable cumberbun or changeable shoulder strap length so if you are a short fat tall skinny person needing a custom a fit you should select a Stiletto or an Express Tech.
The plate on the Express Tech is not rigid but flexes and somewhat shapes to the diver.
If you like the sensation at the surface of your weights trying to pull you down and out of your BC while the BC does everything it physically can to float on the surface of the water, by all means a weight belt is for you.

I use the ET for all my diving, cold water and warm. I put XS Scuba weight pouches on the waist band and chest straps for weight and trim. A crotch strap realy helps keep it from riding up and making it more stable. If you are planning on using the ET in cold water you may want to consider getting it with a larger wing, 30 - 35#. They can be orderd that way and you can also order a shorter corragated hose and a plain elbow without a pull shoulder dump, you use the inflator to dump. A larger wing will cost marginaly more and the shorter hose and elbow should not cost any more.

...I've had multiple weight pocket systems because I "hated" weight belts.
Turns out (after trial and error), I hate the weight pockets even more.

I've seen on some post on SB that lots of dives like these weight belts.
MAKO Freedive Weight Belt
They can also be quick released.

It`s either you weight fit on you hip bones, waist.
Or your weight pockets drag your whole BCD down on you shoulders.

Also, I'd put some weights on the CAM bands that hold the tank.
That way you can spread out the weight and not have everything at your hips.

I guess one advantage to a weight belt is that if you put one on before the ET and it sits above the waist band, it may marginally help keep the ET from riding up...even without a crotch strap.

Claymore: Doesn't the XS Scuba pockets fall out of the waist band when you unbuckle the ET? Or do you use a couple D-rings distal to the weight pockets to keep them from sliding? Where did you order the crotch strap?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom