Need A Couple Questions Answered.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamp69

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm 100% sure i want a BP/W. I've been doing alot of research and looking at different products. I'm still a little unsure if i want a harness with shoulder padding and quick release, or just a pure tek harness. My question is about back plates. Are different BPs designed to work differently? Do all BPs need STA's for single tank diving? Is there really a wing out there that is able to do both single and double tanks? or am i better off just focusing on single tank setup for now and purchasing a new wing later? I know alot of ppl recommend DSS, but I was a little confused with the site and the rig config. I should mention that I am in Newfoundland canada and my diving well be primarily cold water.

So with all that in mind, anyone wanna recommend a good setup for me.

My local Dive shop carries HOG gear, and gave me a great price on a BP/W, harness and Reg setup

Thanks. Thank god for this site

Don't try to purpose a wing for both singles and doubles - the lift requirements are different.

Not all require a STA - my son has a HOG steel BP and 32 lb wing, works fine without the STA. The 32 is plenty of lift for him in cold water with 2 piece 7mm full and shorty, he is 165lbs.

Harness padding is an individual thing. Son has a basic one piece harness, he finds it comfortable as is, no padding. Padding only matters on the surface in any case.

im 225lbs. thats the same setup as i was thinking. i was wondering if i should be considering integrated weight pouches.

Harness padding/quick release: not needed, keep it simple.

No not all plates need STAs. I'm of the opinion that you're better better off, for both plates and wings, to buy a product that excells at what it is designed for rather than be mediocre at a couple of jobs. Buy a plate and wing for a singles setup, if and when you want to switch to doubles, get a plate and wing designed for doubles.

If you have questions about DSS call Tobin at DSS. He'll answer all your questions and based on your needs will tell you what will work best for you.

I'm 185 and use 24lbs with a 2 piece. With a 6lb plate and -2 for the buoyancy inherent in my Balance BCD, I could take off 8 lbs for 16lbs on a belt with that rig. I currently use 10lbs on the belt with the rest WI on the BCD, and I find that comfortable. Diving salt I use 30 which puts 16lbs on the belt and I don't like that much there. It depends on your comfort and trim. But I would put it on the belt first before spending on the pockets - you can always get them later if you want, but if you are ok with the belt why bother? Everyone is different.

Where are you diving? In-laws have a cottage 9 Island Pond near BR, and I am thinking about hauling my gear down next trip. Have not yet been wet off of the rock.

Don't try to purpose a wing for both singles and doubles - the lift requirements are different.

Not all require a STA - my son has a HOG steel BP and 32 lb wing, works fine without the STA. The 32 is plenty of lift for him in cold water with 2 piece 7mm full and shorty, he is 165lbs.

Harness padding is an individual thing. Son has a basic one piece harness, he finds it comfortable as is, no padding. Padding only matters on the surface in any case.

I agree totally, for a bp/w don't try to get a dual use wing for singles and doubles.

The thing about bp and wings is try to get something with the industry standard of 11" spacing between the mounting holes as some members have experienced problems with mounting wings and plates with different spacing. Also different plates have deeper or more shallow bends which with pushes or reduces the distance between the tanks to the body. Other things are also the mounting holes on the plate, more holes means more flexibility in mounting different brands of back pad/pockets etc.

Also another thing to consider is what kind of bp to get, alu or steel. If you are doing warm water dives and travel then get an alu or kydex plate however, if you are doing only cold water dives then get a steel plate.

Lastly, harness types be them adjustable or hog depends on the diver, a lot of pp after trying out a hog setup prefer it over the adjustable types however, some like myself add shoulder pads cus I dive with very thin suits or even just skins. Adjustable is nice if you have problems getting in and out of the harness or change your suits thickness often. DSS has a very interesting feature called the glide harness.

I really like these combos:
AL back plate w/ Oxycheq Hog Harness & Oxycheq Mach V wing [DROCpkg] - $375.00 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!
DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?page=rigs

Cheers

The above poster was talking hog as is hogitharian which is a KISS approach, not as in hog gear. Anyway, he is right. The basic harness is like $20 and is all you'll need for a harness. If you want to add bells and whistles later there is no harm no loss. I would also suggest getting the 2 in crotch strap out the gate as well. Same plate works the same between doubles and singles. Difference is in weighting. I'm a floaty kinda guy so stainless steal is fine for me but you will shed a lot of lead (say 5 plus lbs) from many bcd set ups so if you'll be negative go to al or plastic. Some wings let you do singles without STA. the STA also provides added weight and holds the whole rig more stable yet adds lbs if traveling. Some wings say they are for doubles and singles like my hog 38lb. They are not. I bought hoping for double duty and its just stupid. It's a great wing for my smaller doubles but won't work if I size up. There is no way I would try to use it for singles and have been pinning for a singles wing so I can finally scrap my bcd.

The above poster was talking hog as is hogitharian which is a KISS approach, not as in hog gear. Anyway, he is right. The basic harness is like $20 and is all you'll need for a harness. If you want to add bells and whistles later there is no harm no loss. I would also suggest getting the 2 in crotch strap out the gate as well. Same plate works the same between doubles and singles. Difference is in weighting. I'm a floaty kinda guy so stainless steal is fine for me but you will shed a lot of lead (say 5 plus lbs) from many bcd set ups so if you'll be negative go to al or plastic. Some wings let you do singles without STA. the STA also provides added weight and holds the whole rig more stable yet adds lbs if traveling. Some wings say they are for doubles and singles like my hog 38lb. They are not. I bought hoping for double duty and its just stupid. It's a great wing for my smaller doubles but won't work if I size up. There is no way I would try to use it for singles and have been pinning for a singles wing so I can finally scrap my bcd.

Actually, my son has HOG gear and hogitharian harness, so it's both :D

Where are you diving? In-laws have a cottage 9 Island Pond near BR, and I am thinking about hauling my gear down next trip. Have not yet been wet off of the rock.[/QUOTE]

By BR, do you mean Bay Roberts? im from carbonear. just a couple towns away. i dive wherever someone is diving...lol.

---------- Post Merged at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:18 PM ----------

Right now i'm diving wet, but i plan on getting into a dry suit by the end of the year. I know the hogitharian harness is simple and to the point, stream lined and trouble free, the way tek divers like it. i'm just worried i dont know enough to actually know what i need. I want a crotch strap for sure. i rented a back inflate, genesis bcd, a couple weeks ago. i couldnt keep the thing from riding up at all. so who makes the best back plate? SS for now. if i get to travel, i'll buy an AL plate or travel bcd. Is the HOG BP with 32lbs wing and hog harness, a good setup to start with?

Where are you diving? In-laws have a cottage 9 Island Pond near BR, and I am thinking about hauling my gear down next trip. Have not yet been wet off of the rock.

By BR, do you mean Bay Roberts? im from carbonear. just a couple towns away. i dive wherever someone is diving...lol.

---------- Post Merged at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:18 PM ----------

Right now i'm diving wet, but i plan on getting into a dry suit by the end of the year. I know the hogitharian harness is simple and to the point, stream lined and trouble free, the way tek divers like it. i'm just worried i dont know enough to actually know what i need. I want a crotch strap for sure. i rented a back inflate, genesis bcd, a couple weeks ago. i couldnt keep the thing from riding up at all. so who makes the best back plate? SS for now. if i get to travel, i'll buy an AL plate or travel bcd. Is the HOG BP with 32lbs wing and hog harness, a good setup to start with?[/QUOTE]

Yes, Bay Roberts.

The HOG BP/W is a good setup not just to start with but to finish with. The DRIS package someone linked to above also gets good reviews at a good price.

Definitely add the crotch strap.

Back
Top Bottom