Holy hog!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquabot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So I recieved my new hog regulator toady and am completly blown away at the quality. But this got me thinking...How do I determine what the lenght of the long hose should be ( Ill be taking a sidemount course hopefully in the not to distant future)? I know sidemount is a personalized set up but whats your general "Rule of thumb" way of figuring it out with out buying a bunch of different hoses?

11 sidemount divers, 111 answers.

Personally I have tried a lot of options. I currently use 15" inflator hoses, 6" hp hose lollipopped forward, and 5' hoses down the tank once, and then up to my mouth. Are you going to left hand feed your left reg? If so this works perfect for me. If you are not going to left hand feed the reg, you might find a 7' hose on the left tank routed down once and then around the neck, works better for you.

Some do not like hoses routed around the neck.

This is all a very personal preference type deal.

11 sidemount divers, 111 answers.

Personally I have tried a lot of options. I currently use 15" inflator hoses, 6" hp hose lollipopped forward, and 5' hoses down the tank once, and then up to my mouth. Are you going to left hand feed your left reg? If so this works perfect for me. If you are not going to left hand feed the reg, you might find a 7' hose on the left tank routed down once and then around the neck, works better for you.

Some do not like hoses routed around the neck.

This is all a very personal preference type deal.

Yea both my regs will be a right hand input so my left hose will need to be long and wrapped around my neck (not a big deal). I just didnt want to go buy say a 7ft lp hose and it be to long. Im well read on sidemount and the million differnent likes since i decided to do it, Just figured I go ahead and try to learn a few tips and tricks first off to help save time and money lol.

You don't have to wrap it, but I find itch more comfortable. A 7' works and fits nice with one loop down the tank, up in front of your shoulder, and then around your neck. I highly recommend 90* elbows on your 2nd stages. It cleans things up tremendously.

---------- Post added January 11th, 2013 at 06:22 PM ----------

Another option is the long hose on the right only, and a shorter <36" hose on the left around the neck. This is another way I really liked it.

One thing that does not work well for me, is a 5' hose on the left and around the neck.

You don't have to wrap it, but I find itch more comfortable. A 7' works and fits nice with one loop down the tank, up in front of your shoulder, and then around your neck. I highly recommend 90* elbows on your 2nd stages. It cleans things up tremendously.

---------- Post added January 11th, 2013 at 06:22 PM ----------

Another option is the long hose on the right only, and a shorter <36" hose on the left around the neck. This is another way I really liked it.

One thing that does not work well for me, is a 5' hose on the left and around the neck.

Ill check out both the 5ft and the 7ft just to see. Did buisness for my first time with Add Helium here in Naples today and it was extremly pleasent. Got there cards and the told me to call anytime with questions. It's aslo were I picked up my new reg and ordered two new first stages so I can convert to din to help streamline things a bit.

i use a 5 on each side. the left isn't down the tank very far at all. the drysuit inflator is several inches longer than the wing inflator, and the spgs are lollipopped.

this is at least the third way i've done it.

Please explain im not exactly familiar with that term:confused:

Lollipopped is the gauges sticking up from the tanks when standing. Basically forward of you. Like in my picture below.

I like Add Helium. Good folks.

. If you can find a pool, I will be back in Naples in A couple weeks. I can help you with setup if you like. My schedule is crazy now though.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357952805.075510.jpg

Mind you, I am no instructor. I can help give you pointers though.

Lollipopped is the gauges sticking up from the tanks when standing. Basically forward of you. Like in my picture below.

I like Add Helium. Good folks.

. If you can find a pool, I will be back in Naples in A couple weeks. I can help you with setup if you like. My schedule is crazy now though.

View attachment 144567

Ah ok I get now, is that just a matter of pure prefference? Thank you James but I would sadly have to take a rain check on that, I dont have the gear I need yet to go sidemout. I got to wait till taxe time so I can buy a sidemount harness. Untill that time I'm going to atleast get my regs set up and buy couple more things that away when I do get it I'll be good to rock and roll. But I really appreciate it and hope that when I have the stuff your offer will still be good on the table. :D

Back
Top Bottom