Choosing a bc is a pain.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dwhite213

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am tired of renting busted bc's, so I have been on the hunt for my first bc purchase. I am only diving in waters above 60F in temp for now, mostly on reefs or jetties. Later I would like to get into deep water and wreck diving.

I guess my question is should I get a basic back inflate (ie. AL balance) now and then get a dedicated tech bpw later, or just get a bc that can be modified for doubles or whatever as I advance?

From my experience when I get something for multiple uses it does all of them poorly instead of getting something that is designed to do what you are using it for. I've used the handle of a crescent wrench for a hammer, but it just doesn't work like a hammer. I just don't have the experience to know if it applies to a bc.

Do you want to buy your gear once or twice? How much money do you want to throw away? If you say buy it once, and save money, then get a BP/W to start. There isn't a recreational dive out there that can't be done in a BP/W, and almost no technical dives that a BP/W isn't good for either. Where as a regular BC is going to be sitting in your garage collecting dust. BTW a simple HOG harness (No fluff, foam, fastex buckles or other junk that isn't needed), cam bands, wing, and plate cost less than many jacket BC's. Check Dive Right In or call Jim Lapenta.

Packages - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

I have a Scubapro back inflate Seahawk and love it. Very high quality and you can dive doubles with it as well. Take a look at one.

Buy a BP/W now if you think you have any potential to go tech later. It's a perfectly appropriate rig for recreational/single-tank diving (I'd suggest superior, in fact. but we'll leave it at "perfectly appropriate" to avoid stirring that pot.) and of course the way to go for doubles.

But it right, or buy it twice.

+1 Buy BP/W now...

I went with the Dive Rite Trans Pac set-up and love it. THe harness is a little bit more like a pack-back's and that is quite comfortable. If you want to switch out the harness for a more HOG style web harness it is very easy to do.

I see where Dive Express is having a sale on the DiveRite Transpac XT with a Wing and Weight Pockets for $499 TransPac Harness by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

Enjoy and happy bubbles,

~Oldbear~

---------- Post added February 15th, 2013 at 05:58 AM ----------

Here is a nice BP/W without the weight pockets...for $350

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...ss-back-plate-tsa-hog-23-wing-nice-price.html

Back Inflate BCD's in general work just as well as BP/W... but I do suggest if you go with a BCD then look at Zeagle and their lifting ability.

If you seriously have your eye on Tech... then yes not pass go and don't collect $200 with the BCD.... Go directly to BP/W.

Many of us have more than one BCD, or maybe more than two bcd's.... don't tell my wife ok !

The only way I was finally able to decide was go to a LDS and try several on for fit. i was leery of the Back inflate
but after putting it on, the zeagle stiletto properly fit by the shop changing out several pieces for perfect fit, I was sold.
I find the back inflate a lot nice since it does not squeeze you when inflated. And I also find that if i am on the surface for extended periods, just rolling onto my back is very comfortable waiting on a pickup.

It packs pretty nice too

It's a perfectly appropriate rig for recreational/single-tank diving (I'd suggest superior, in fact. but we'll leave it at "perfectly appropriate" to avoid stirring that pot.)

I'LL stir that pot!

A BPW is a great rig for any sort of diving. I really can't think of an advantage that a jacket BC has over a BPW for a single tank recreational diver in terms of trim, fit, reliability, maintenance, flexibility, extendibility and durability. Yes at the extreme bottom end, you might be able to find a cheap jacket BC for a bit less than a basic BPW setup, but not a big difference in the context of what you are going to be spending on diving overall.

I just checked the price on the Aqua Lung Balance BC the OP mentioned. It is $535 and I believe not much of a discount can be given. Then there is a nice BP/W setup for $360. Gee, which one is cheaper?

For $10 more you can buy a brand new one, and it also has free shipping.
DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

My thinking on buying two is that from what I read that if you do doubles you have one setup for that and one for singles. I guess if the bpw is so good it wouldn't hurt to have two of them.

---------- Post added February 15th, 2013 at 03:41 PM ----------

I'm not really worried about cheaper. I want what is best suited for my diving.

Back
Top Bottom