What have you seen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adventure-Ocean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
A friend of mine recently asked me "what is the coolest thing you've ever seen underwater?" This turns out to be a difficult question to answer. After diving a lifetime I realize I have seen a lot of very cool stuff.

My answer to him was: I got to see one of America's nuclear submarines quietly glide past me. Once I saw two marlin swimming side by side just a couple of feet below the surface. I was at around 40 ft and could see very clearly. It looked like animation. Lastly would be the giant manta rays in Yap. They came so close I got to touch one.

More than likely I'll remember something else that would rate as one of the coolest things but these three were pretty cool.

One of the things I really like about SB is we can bounce questions off very experienced people.

So, what is the coolest things you remember seeing on a dive? Adventure-Ocean

My first answer: Not enough. There is literally a world of oceans and countless creatures I haven't seen.

I too really liked seeing manta rays in Hawaii. I also really dig octopii which I've only seen a couple of to date. Manatees are fun to watch/interact with and pretty much any ray is cool to watch gliding through the water. And sharks, I like the sharks.

I think seeing a "nuclear sub glide past me" would cause a warhammer like the world has never seen...

I've only had two dives and both were cold water, so I don't have stories of sharks and such. Still though, on my first dive, my buddy and I were following two other divers and a bass got in between the two groups. It just swam along with us like that for a good 3 or 4 minutes, like we were a school. It put a big smile on my face. At the surface, I was told that the locals call bass the puppy dogs of the water, because they'd follow you home if they could.

One of the most memorable experiences was a huge sleeping turtle on a night dive in Maui. Wasn't necessarily the turtle but my daughter's excited reaction to finding the turtle. Later on the same trip I would have to put the Manta Ray night dive off the coast of Kona as top of the list exhilarating experiences diving.

Occasional seal when beach diving California. Always exciting and fun to see, especially when they come in close to check you out.

Still waiting to see a hammerhead, would be on the top of my "I really want to see .. " list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom