reassure me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottishscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I had a bad experience diving in Cape Town nearly 13 years ago, it was the culmination of a few bad dives that resulted in me not diving for 9 years (see near misses forum for details). Anyway I'm going to Cape Town next week (flights booked!). I'm taking my mask and snorkel etc and am thinking about going diving. I just cant quite get the memory of my last experience out of my mind.

Its ridiculous, I've done 40 odd dives since then (the majority in the last 6 months) and am so much more confident in the water, but at the back of my mind is that unease that just gives me the jitters. I do feel though that going diving there is going to put a few demons to rest too. I know far more now about choosing a reputable shop, and just how to dive really..

give me a metaphorical kick up the bum please.

I am stupidly risk averse so wouldn't agree to go on a dive that would be too challenging. I just need to stop over thinking things.

think "hair of the dog"

i have to be honest, i don't know what your bad experience involved, and i'm sure mine it won't come even close to yours but i'll share anyway, i'll make it short

Bermuda 2011, i had barely 15 dives, we are heading for a dive at the Blue Hole and i ask the captain if there is current , at which he replies "the only time you have currents in Bermuda is if you get dragged behind the boat"
famous last words lol
i jump in t do a buoyancy check, next thing i know i am in lalaland , at least 200 meters from the boat, i look in the water and the reef is just below my feet, when i knew we anchored way off the reef
so i start swimming back to the boat but nothing was happening, if anything i think i was actually being taken away from the boat by the current
so i turn on my back for some rest, at this point i was hyperventilating and the regulator was hard to breath so i took it out
next thing i know someone grabs me from behind from the tank, drags me along and i only hear "don't worry, i got you", that was before he actually dipped my head under water as he dragged me along...obviously not realizing i don't have the regulator on
arms went flailing and eventually i got his attention....to cut a long story short, that guy quit half way from exhaustion and the captain jumped in...took about 30-45 minutes to finally make it back to the boat
i was scared out of my mind and the next day every muscle in my body hurt like hell, i literally felt like i was run over by a truck, i had no idea there are so many muscles in the neck
the point of all this is...2 days later i dove the Blue Hole and was absolutely beautiful

its mind over matter, if you love diving and you want to do it you will overcome your fear and anxiety
i look at any bad experience in a positive way....a lesson learned and hopefully a more prepared/experinced person to deal with problems

Thanks T4e. It is mind over matter. I'm in the process of getting my overactive imagination back in its silly little box.

If we forget the past we are bound to repeat it...sounds like you have not forgot it, so it is likely you will not repeat it. Stay in the now. Am I fit to dive now, is my equipment ready now, is the dive site within my comfort zone now, etc.... I know that my experience, little as it is, has really helped reduce my anx on dives. I also will open my big mouth and start asking questions about anything that I do have an anx about on an upcoming dive, as opposed to just internally freaking out. This really helps. I also like to reduce dives to simple terms like, I'm just going for a swim in the beautiful ocean today.

Well, I'm back and I've been diving :)

I wouldnt say I was totally relaxed but I did the 2 dives and managed to relax and enjoy them.

I'm not used to diving wearing so much neoprene though! The first dive was with a seal colony which was awesome, they are so agile under water and such comedians. I was a bit anxious about descending into the gloom (vis was maybe 2 - 3m) My actual skills under water on the first dive were apalling, but funnily enough(!) as I relaxed I remembered how to dive... Second dive was in Kelp forests with the 7 gilled cow sharks. AWESOME.

So glad I went diving, thats one demon laid to rest. I still dont particularly like diving in colder water and murky conditions though.

Seal colony, South Africa, murky water…..I can think of a reason I would be apprehensive. A person on here named Foxfish would totally understand also.

It's a great feeling facing your fears and overcoming it. Congrats

How can and why would a group of perfect strangers encourage you to do something potentially harmful: something you have tried before and had the wits scared out of you.

My advice... my professional advice... is stay out of the water.

Yeah I'd have to agree, seals in South Africa = a great episode for Shark Week!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How can and why would a group of perfect strangers encourage you to do something potentially harmful: something you have tried before and had the wits scared out of you.

My advice... my professional advice... is stay out of the water.

Thankyou for your professional advice. I have no intention of staying out of the water. I had a scare many years ago while on holiday in Cape Town. I've overcome that scare and have done plenty diving since then. I was overthinking the location rather than the dive itself.

I was also aware of the possibility of sharks around the seal colony, I chose to join the dive there, no-one made me do it.

Back
Top Bottom