What not to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

surfsidedav

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My next purchase is a computer. After doing some searching and reading, it seems that there are about as many computers as there are opinions about computers. And everyone has there favorite for their own personal reasons/usage requirements. So to simplify things, I hope, could I get some input on what brand NOT to buy, or features that are useless to stay away from. My LDS carries UWATEC, so naturally that's the best thing made.
Thanks,
David

surfsidedav:
My next purchase is a computer. After doing some searching and reading, it seems that there are about as many computers as there are opinions about computers. And everyone has there favorite for their own personal reasons/usage requirements. So to simplify things, I hope, could I get some input on what brand NOT to buy, or features that are useless to stay away from. My LDS carries UWATEC, so naturally that's the best thing made.
Thanks,
David
wow, great post. I wish I would have looked at it this way. I have two computers: oceanic Atam 1.0 and an oceanict dataTransPlus. I use these for their air intigrated tech and the fact that one (DT+) is a nice backup for the atom.

If I had to do it all over again, I would probably buy a suunto air integrated if I didn't already have a backup. I say that ONLY because suunto has a more conservative algorithm. If I was not overweight and more-or-less a rooky in diving, I would probably stick with oceanic. I am working on figuring out who has the best customer support. Nobody ever talks about suunto cust support. I always find that oceanic gets a bad rap because they didn't provide their up-to-this-point exceptional service. I hear they have a new pres/ceo. I just sent my DT+ in for service and can't really let you know until i get it back, but I am sure that it will be fine.

edit: I love the fact that I have user-replaceable batteries. I don't know what it is like without it, so someone else can chime in...

Don't get a Dell. They don't submerge well and arent very compact.

In all seriousness, I've had my Suunto Vyper for about 3 years now and I have yet to feel like it is missing something. I love that little bugger. I'll keep it until I move into a VR3 for my technical training.

I have 2 friends that bought Mares. They both literally fell apart. I love the mosquito. I've been diving it now for about 18 months. If I had to give it a drawback it would be no continuous backlight. If I had to do it again I would go for the Vyper.

I have the Uwatec Smart TEC. I am pretty impressed with it, but only have a few dives on it.

If you don't need the extra stuff I have heard good things about the Aeris AI which a friend purchased.

I heard good things about the Suunto and almost bought the D9.

Suunto Cobra love it, But you do get bit by the additional cost of software and a cable for linkup.

surfsidedav:
Thanks,
David

I would carefully check the information on each display - here is why. I like to have both bottom time and NDL time on my main display. On my first computer, it is an alternate display, but the computer automatically reverts to the main display (without bottom time) afetr a few seconds. I now use an Oceanic versa Pro - in addition to all the settable features, what I like is that alternate displays stay put unless I manually change them once a dive is underway. I have my first computer in my console as backup.

I would also not buy a computer that automatically reverts the FO2 setting to 50% before every dive. Most computers have this as a "safety feature" but many allow this to be disabled. Do not buy a computer where this cannot be disabled. If you do exclusively "rec" diving (less than 130 ft.) like I do, PO2 is not as much an issue as nitrogen loading. In my mind, automatically reverting to 50% FO2 is dangerous, since it would underestimate your N2 loading.

Just my opinion (since you asked).

Cheers

Michael Freeman:
I have the Uwatec Smart TEC. I am pretty impressed with it, but only have a few dives on it.

If you don't need the extra stuff I have heard good things about the Aeris AI which a friend purchased.

I heard good things about the Suunto and almost bought the D9.

I am considering the Uwatec Smart Tec or Suunto Vytec. I have heard some discouraging information on the Uwatec's - seems some people don't get very good air pressure readings from the wireless sensor. How is yours working. Can you make all of the changes on the wrist computer without going to a laptop or desktop? I like the fact that Uwatec sells you everything with the unit (computer download log).,is slightly less conservative than the Vytec and everything is on one screen - no toggling.

thanks
jason

I have the VyTec. I actually prefer that it is a bit more conservative than many others. I have nothing against the water and am in that big of hurry to get out.

You don't need to toggle to find the important aspects of your dive on a Vytec. Run time and depth on the front screen. If you use these functions, NDL, current mix (out of the three programmed in), tank pressure (on the backgas) are there as well. The only thing that I have toggled for is when I get interested in checking the water temp or want to change mixes because I am ascending and switching off to my EAN50.

surfsidedav:
Thanks,
David

I wouldn't personally buy a Dacor at the moment. Nothing against Dacor but Mares (who owns Dacor) is up to something and I keep hearing rumours that Dacor´s days are numbered.

I also wouldn´t necessarily buy an air integrated computer. I´m not really a purist or anything (I have an air integrated computer) but it´s a lot of money to spend for a small amount of additional functionality.

Cochran (sp) has a bit of a reputation for their housings leaking. You would have to research a particular model carefully.

Suunto has a reputation for being overly conservative. In my mind that´s not a bad thing but you start doing much deco diving you may find yourself waiting for your computer to clear while everyone else is already out of the water.....

Just a word about Uwatec. One of their computers had a small software problem IIRC but on the whole they´re excellent computers.

I wouldn´t buy a computer, like the Cobra, that must hang on the end of a hose. If you want AI then go for the radio sender. If you intend to get in to any kind of Tek diving you´ll find that it´s easier to have your instruments on your arm.

And finally, get a computer you can put in gauge mode and one that works with Nitrox. These are features you might not think you need but you will eventually appreciate having them.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom