Rain-X in a mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amphiprion

Contributor
Reaction score
The other day my mask seemed to be fogging up more than usual. I was wondering if anybody has tried rain-x in a mask. Rain-X is the stuff that causes rain to bead off your winshield. In theory it might cause less fogging and stay on the lenses for much longer. On the other hand, I'm not sure if it would sting my eyes or cause other problems.

Anyone?

That would depend on what your mask is made of, and whether it's covered in any anti-reflective coatings. Rain-X only works on uncoated glass, and doesn't work on many plastics and can actually damage some of them. A pilot once told me that his small plane manual specifically had a warning against using it on his Lexan/polycarbonate windshield. IIRC, at least some masks use polycarbonates because of the lightness, low cost, strength, and relative shatterproofedness.

They make a version called Fog-X which is designed for fogging issues.

Having said that, I don't know that it's something I'd want in a confined space with my eyes. A lot of that stuff contains alcohol or similar chemicals and might lead to some unpleasant results in a mask leak.

The mask is an atomic sub-frame without arc lenses. I haven't seen much that will damage silicone, but I don't know about the lenses. I may try on another mask in my gear stash and report back sometime.

i think it's made of petroleum distillates, & i don't want any of that anywhere near my eyes.

I would not advise that one as others have stated if some of the chemical comes off due to mask flooding and burns your eyes might not make for a good dive. If you don't like the spit or defog idea. You can always put a little soapy water in a squirt bottle. That also seems to work well, But the most benficial thing you can do is scrub your mask clean with either mask cleaner or toothpaste. Than any of the above mentioned should work with out problem

As yours is the simple version then you should have tempered glass lenses and there shouldn't be anything in a common household product that will attack tempered glass.

It's pretty much impossible to beat generic baby shampoo mixed 50/50 with water. Works brilliantly well without attacking either the mask or your eyes, and is super cheap.

My 2 cents: a small travel size bottle of baby shampoo. Squirt a couple of drops in the mask, rub it around and rinse. If you have a mask leak it won't be blinding like a petroleum product. I find I have to re-apply for each dive but it's cheap and works well.

Back
Top Bottom