Rain-X in a mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A $4 bottle of Defog had thus far lasted me 3-years and nearly 200-dives (and I barely used half of it). I don't need to be using anything that's meant to go on a car's windshield to be that close to my eyes.

I tried Rain-X on the outside of my mask. The ocean beaded up and fell off my mask. Oh, the horror!

My favorite anti-fog is "500psi." It works great thru two dives, it doesn't bobble up in my mask, and I've never had issues with it irritating my eyes or contact lenses. However, it isn't always easy to find and it is pricey. If cheaper is better, your spit is free and works great, as long as you can work some flem into it.

Not only no, but HELL NO! Keep the chemicals away from your eyes!

This one just seems to fog up more than some of my other masks. I guess I'll hit it with toothpaste--again. I do the mucus spit thing most of the time and defog sometimes. Perhaps I shouldn't keep a little water in this mask. I've always done this as a way to clear out any fog, but it may be creating more fog.

I also take the mask off during the dive sometimes as I kind of prefer water on my face and don't mind water in the eyes. Maybe I'm getting rid of my defog when I do this.

yes, you are. maybe that's it.

I have used Rainx and it worked as good as anything else. I usually use baby shampoo.
Nothing works if the glass isn't super clean.

I stumbled on a thread elsewhere in these forums where someone was having similar problems with an Atomic mask. Apparently there's a lot of residue on those masks and the only solution is either aggressive cleaning with white toothpaste, Soft Scrub, or some even suggested using an open flame on the lens and burning it off. Personally I'd never try that last one, but they say the coating just peels off when they do it.

Back
Top Bottom