Can I use this connector?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
We leave tomorrow for a one week trip to Cabo Pulmo in Mexico, where they use Yoke tanks. We have been using DIN connectors. I have the replacement yoke connector, but it is a bit corroded. I am concerned about the corrosion for the screw thread that will go into my reg.

Can I use it? How should I get rid of the corrosion first?

Yoke corrosion.jpg Yoke corrosion 4.jpg

Thanks,

Bill

Attachments

• Yoke corrosion 3.jpg
    Yoke corrosion 3.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 197
EDIT. Initially Misread post and photos.

Revised reply:

I think if you go at it gently with a wire brush and then rinse it well (VERY WELL, unless you want to inhale a bit of the debris through the reg in Mexico) you should be OK. Be sure to use a bit of silicone lube on it, too.

As long as the inside of your Yoke isn't corroded I wouldn't worry too much.
It doesn't look like you'll get chunks falling off. And it's just the threading from what I see. So long as it screws in cleanly I think you'll be fine.

If you are inclined to clean, which I would be:
Distilled White Vinegar and a tooth brush or a wire brush.
Just do some hand brushing.

I put our gear through a 50/50 Tap Water/Vinegar Ultrasonic when I do service.
Without the Ultra Sonic, brushing with straight Vinegar works too.
Give it a fresh water rinse under the sink and let it air dry.

Are you familiar enough to change out and get the correct Torque tightening on your first stage? Or will the Dive Shop do it for you?

Hey Bill. Glad to see you are going on your trip. You probably should have been looking at this earlier in the week though...

I think I would make a trip to Home Depot and see if you could find a brass nut with the same threads and after trying the vinegar to clean as suggested above, add a little silicon or preferably Christo lube to the threads and screw the nut onto the fitting. Use 1/4 turns and back off, like you were cutting new threads. See if you can get that nut to end up going on nice and easy and smooth.

Once that is accomplished, then you can assemble it.

Myself, I just use a din to yoke converter and have not had an issue with it hitting my head.

Unless you are a Certified SCUBA Technician (or have some equivalent patch sewn on), you will likely die.

:rofl3:

This is probably too late to do you any good but it might be useful for future reference. I use 1/8 cup of simple green, 1/8 cup of white vinegar, a quart container, that is filled with enough hot tap water to cover the part and let it soap. After that I use a nylon scrub pad and a tooth brush to clean the effected areas. I would stay away from a wire brush as this could cause more damage then you already have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom