Coz, Need Cheap Place to Stay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leadweight

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am headed down to Coz in August. The trip is solo, so I am looking for a cheap place to stay. I prefer a location in or near town not more than a 10 minute walk to the area where the dive boats leave from (just south of the ferry pier). Please provide a means of contacting the place.

-Ron

How cheap is cheap and are you wanting all-inclusive?

Here is a link that will provide you with hotels that are in town

http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/AccommodationsInTownfor1-2.htm

I have stayed at Pepita and it is clean and has a/c and a fridge.

Cozumel's The Best of the Best -- Our El Centro Accommodations for 1-3 People.
Yes, fans, we've been out beating the pavement, bouncing on mattresses, ogling bathroom grout and peering into mini-fridges to come up with this list of recommended places to stay for couples and singles. ( If you're travelling with more people, be sure to check out our Group Accommodations )

All rates listed are in US Dollars. When a range of prices is given it represents approximate off-season prices for the least expensive room. The high figure is the high season price for the most expensive room. Rates are for up to 1-2 people sharing the space. Additional people in the same room generally adds between $10-$15 per person per night to the tab (and makes for pretty crowded living conditions.) Rates do NOT include the 12% sales tax unless specifically stated. Prices on the lower priced rooms are often negotiable if you walk in and they have space. (Check out our Group Accommodations link if you're travelling with more than 2-3 people.)

Hotel Pepita

How to Contact: Unless you speak decent Spanish, you may be better off just walking in. Chances are good they will have a room as this place isn't right down on the waterfront. From outside Mexico: 01 52 987 872 0098.

Price: Around $30/night. plus tax

Features: Good location and a great price. The two stories of rooms are centered around a small, open courtyard area which includes a large, covered area with a long table with a coffee pot set up at one end. I saw a dapper Mexican gentlemen sitting here when I visited, drinking coffee and taking notes in a book.

Comments:Rooms are spartan with no sitting area in the room but it does have cable tv, AC and fridge and the rooms look clean. Very nice staff. If you're on a tight budget, this would be our best recommendation at this point.

Caribe Hotel

How to Contact: Ask to Speak to Manuel Brito and speak slowly. From outside Mex call: 011 52 987 872-0325 or 4283. email: manuelbrito_estrella@hotmail.com, FAX: 011 52 987-872-3242

Price: $35-$40 double

Features: Nice pool and garden area. Very quiet street but highly convenient downtown location

Comments: Well kept up with a friendly staff.

Aguilar

How to Contact: (011 52 987) 872-0307 & ask for Mayte.
or FAX (011 52 987) 872-0769
E-mail: aguilar@cozunet.finred.com.mx

Price: $40/night + tax. Special right now of $35/night.

Features: Attractive garden and pool area with good shade. Plenty of off street parking. They'll deal and generally offer better rates to return customers of whom they have many. Great Location 1/2 block from waterfront and close to the plaza.

Comments: As with the two other places listed above,Rooms are spartan with no sitting area. Bathrooms clean and with large showers but definitely showing their age with cracked tiling, grout that could use redoing in some cases and calcification on the shower fixtures. Friendly staff that speaks enough English to get by.

Flamingo Hotel
Location: Calle 6 1/2 block in from the waterfront. info@hotelflamingo.com

Price:$49-59 + 12% tax

Features: Really helpful, friendly international staff. Very attractive open-air restaurant on the first story. Terrace on the roof has a nice view of the sea. Good place to sit in the evenings.

Comments:Rooms are pretty spartan but very clean and quite large.American owner has been upgrading in past months. Only some rooms have fridges so ask for this feature. Fast to Answer via e-mail. Good location!

Villas Ixchell

How to contact: www.islacozumel.com

Prices: $35-$65, tax included

Features:Great landlady who helps you hit the ground running and feeling like a local very quickly. Fast to answer e-mails. Owner is a well-known dive instructor and is a super resource for setting up your dive packages or any instruction you care to take.

Comments:These clean, well-designed apartments are 8 blocks beyond the perimeter of El Centro but we've made an exception and included them here because they're particularly good for people who want dive packages with their budget accomodations. Tip: rent a bike if you stay at this location.

Amigos Bed & Breakfast

How to Contact: cozumel@bacalar.net

Price: $50-65, tax included

Features: Large pool, nice garden, attractive common area shared by up to 9 guests. Nice, American landlady.

Comments: Small but fully equipped kitchen, interesting palapa roofing. We recommend renting a bike if you stay here. Quiet location 5.5 blocks back from the ocean.

Vista del Mar

How to Contact: info@hotelvistadelmar.com

Prices: $64 + tax for oceanfront $56 + for jacuzzi view rooms

Features: large pretty jacuzzi on a deck on the second story out back is very attractive and appeared to be well-maintained when we checked it out recently

Comments: Really nice furniture looks good and is actually comfortable. Rooms not on the ocean are often bigger. Oceanview room balconies may be a little noisy as they look out on the waterfront drag. Rooms only have a fridge. Some have the tiny fridge, others a larger one so ask about this if this is a concern.

Villas Las Anclas

How to Contact: info@Lasanclas.com

Price:$75-80/night, tax included

Features: Very quiet location with a pretty garden outside the rooms. Nice furnishings and a full kitchen. except for no stove--hot plate and Microwave only. Great location! Fresh ground coffee comes with.

Comments: Spacious, attractive design, very clean, bathroom and bedroom in a loft up a narrow spiral staircase in the center of the suite. So don't stay here if climbing is a problem. Good place for a couple with one child who can sleep on the couch downstairs.

Hacienda San Miguel

Location: Calle 10 Norte #500 Between the Waterfront and Avenida 5
How to Contact: Tel: (52-987) 87-21986
Fax: (52- 987) 87-27043 info@haciendasanmiguel.com

Price: $67-$110 plus tax

Features: Quiet, convenient location two blocks from El Museo. Nice gardens and comfortable furnishings

Comments:No pool but the studios and apartments, all of which have efficiency kitchens, are built around a courtyard that is quite attractive and well-maintained. We have heard comments that the units were not designed to catch the island breezes and can get stuffy unless you run the AC. Very popular, however.

Casa Mexicana

Location: Waterfront between Calle 5 and Calle 7 (just north of the Post Office)

How to Contact: In US: 1-877-228-6747 En Mexico: 01 800 227-2639

Price:$120 + tax oceanfront, $100+ tax garden view

Features: brand new looking, stream-lined and clean as a whistle. Beautifully furnished lobby. Full buffet breakfast every morning and we hear its good enough that local people come in for the Sunday morning buffet.

Comments: Lobby area is a stunner and we can see just hanging out here in the afternoon, reading a book looking at the gorgeous view. Pool is small but lovely (only about 2 ft deep!) and looks out at the ocean from the second story lobby. Extremely attractive hotel with an intown location that's hard to beat. Good luxury choice for 1-2 people who want to experience staying downtown. Ask for a fridge as not all rooms come equipped with these. We really think a fridge is a must wherever you stay!

Travelling with a group? Then a villa rental is THE way to go in terms of price, space, privacy and amenities. Check out our

Would not call it cheap, but is very affordable...

Blue Angel/Caribe Blue

or if have chosen another dive op already and not looking for 'package' deal...

Caribe Blue

A friend who dives with Blue Angel also prefers to stay at the Villa Las Anclas as it is in town and he is going with family, some of whom do not dive, but I am all about staying on the shore, and right next to dive shop, being picked up by boat at pier at hotel :D

leadweight:
I am headed down to Coz in August. The trip is solo, so I am looking for a cheap place to stay. I prefer a location in or near town not more than a 10 minute walk to the area where the dive boats leave from (just south of the ferry pier). Please provide a means of contacting the place.

-Ron

Hotel Meson is on the north side of the square and it was running about $35-$40 a night. Basic room with two beds, AC, shower. Call for them to bring you ice. Also has a balcony over looking the square. Stand and enjoy the view. The railing is too high to sit and see anything. They have a pool beside the bar downstairs. Sorry I don't have their phone number or email address. Booked with them through Expedia.

C'mon Ron. I know you. You can spring for a few bucks and get a decent place.

You can book the Casa Mexicana much cheaper in a package with air at expedia.com. We booked a 9 day trip with air for $850 per person. Air alone through continental.com is almost $600 per person. The Coral Princess was just a tad cheaper.

How cheap is cheap? How deep is deep? How many Coronas are too many?

Parrothead diver, that is what I am looking for. My Spanish being what it is, I may do the no reservations thing.

Mark, I might say at Barracuda, but I am not planning on buying the place, this time anyway.

It is pretty slow there right now is the slow season...we were there the first week in July and it was very quiet...it was great.....have fun....

We use to call Pepita to make reservations we never knew if we had them or not lol but we always had a room when we got there...no speaky espanol

parrotheaddiver:
Villas Las Anclas

How to Contact: info@Lasanclas.com

Price:$75-80/night, tax included

Features: Very quiet location with a pretty garden outside the rooms. Nice furnishings and a full kitchen. except for no stove--hot plate and Microwave only. Great location! Fresh ground coffee comes with.

Comments: Spacious, attractive design, very clean, bathroom and bedroom in a loft up a narrow spiral staircase in the center of the suite. So don't stay here if climbing is a problem. Good place for a couple with one child who can sleep on the couch downstairs.

Mike (sealskin98) and I checked this place out when we were in Coz at the end of June. The place is outstanding, very clean, neat, and quiet considering it's located downtown. We visited with the owner while we were there, and he's a great guy. He told us that he also owns Caribe Blu, and will drive you to the dive shop (Blue Angel) every morning at 08:00 as he goes down there to check in and look things over. You would have to take a $4 taxi ride back to town when you got back in, but he said he would be glad to take you down every morning. As long as you're diving with Blue Angel, you can use their gear lockers so that you don't have to hump your gear every day.

As I said, the rooms are beautiful, and are very large and quiet. There is no pool, and no view of the water, but the amenities are great. The location is great if you want to stay in town close to the restaurants. It's right off the plaza, so you have a lot of great places to eat within walking distance. I'm seriously thinking about staying there when I go back with my wife, and you can get great hotel/diving packages with them the same as Caribe Blu. The things that I really loved about Caribe Blu, though, was the view from the rooms and being able to walk downstairs and get on the boat. I'll kinda have to weigh it out and see before I go back. Either place would be great, but they each have their strong points over the other.

One thing that I would point out, however, is that he told us that they don't allow children to stay at Villas Las Anclas, so bear this in mind if anybody is thinking about staying there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom