Recharging Batteries in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raymanta

Registered
Reaction score
Do you need a voltage converter in Mexico? I need to know if I can plug-in my digital camera battery recharger while I'm in Cozumel. I know you can buy a converter to use in Europe and other places, but I don't know what to expect in Mexico.

Ray

I guess it's not an issue in Cozumel, but a lot of electronics chargers are universal, although you still have to convert the plugs to fit the socket. The charger will say something like input 100v-240v, 50hz/60hz.

I usually use an outlet strip and plug the chargers for my I-Pod and AA camera/strobe batteries into the strip. However, the outlet strip has a 3-prong plug, and the wall receptacle in my hotel room in Cozumel could accommodate only a 2-prong plug.

Therefore, I had to dispense with use of the outlet strip, and plug the 2-prong I-Pod and battery chargers directly into the wall receptacles. Doing it that way, I had no problems.

Here's a handy link for determining what type of electrical service is available in various countries around the world:

http://kropla.com/electric2.htm .

According to the site, current in Mexico is 127V, 60Hz which is very close to the 120V, 60Hz used in the US.

Just bring a 2 prong adapter if your charger is 3 prong. Many hotels do not have the newer 3 prong outlets. Also a new 2 prong adapter has the neutral prong just a bit wider than the other prong, file it down to the same size, as many hotels have the real old outlets that will not even take a newer 2 prong plug. This will come in useful also if your newer charger is 2 prong, all newer 2 prong plugs have 1 prong wider than the other.

Otherwise Cozumel has the same power as we do in the US, no converters needed. Same problems up here with old houses having old receptacles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom