Someone has been feeding this nurse shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstevens

Toadfish. Splendid is implied but not guaranteed.
Reaction score
My wife took this video of a nurse shark at Colombia on 10 March 2014. It seems pretty clear that it's become accustomed to being fed, since it first checks her out then me to her left before giving up in disappointment and swimming away. In 1080p at YouTube.

[video=youtube;4XUaAo8g9yA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XUaAo8g9yA[/video]

"Someone Has Been Feeding This Nurse Shark" 4XUaAo8g9yA

Last edited:
There may be something else happening. There have been recent reports of eagle rays remaining close to divers. Not like the nurse shark but closer than usual.

See other video... :)

But what else do you think may be happening?

My own sense was that it felt almost exactly like when my cat thinks I have something delicious, runs over to investigate, discovers it's only boring old me, and leaves to go attend to important cat business.

Last year, at Casa Blanca, I also encountered a nurse shark that is too friendly. A diver first noticed the nurse shark rubbing his fins. Then the nurse shark swam around all of us for at least a good 5 to 10 minutes.

It was so close to us we can just put our arms out and touch it.

PICT0064.jpg

I also think they are being fed. On my second last dive day in Feb I had one come up under me from behind so close to me that it had to push my camera out of it's way. I hold my camera just below my face & hold it with both hands so it was a huge surprise having it pushed up like that & immediately see the nurse shark mere inches below my face (less than a foot below). It checked every diver for a hand out & then swam off.

IMG_1348v1.jpg

You can see a spear but it's hanging free & there wasn't anything on it but my take on just how the shark checked us out says it knows the spear can be a signal there's free food available.

I was told by a DM that they've fed lionfish to eels, snappers, lobsters, octopus, nurse sharks......

I support culling lionfish wherever possible, but feeding them to sharks and eels is a mistake. I know of one eel bite that most likely came about due to feeding and if some poor nurse shark gets confused and nibbles on someone then there will be "shark attack" BS. People think that by us feeding the lionfish to fish, eels and sharks, they will begin to view lions as food. Maybe, but when humans feed wild animals the animals will learn to associate humans with food and lose their fear of humans, and then end up suffering for it. Kill the lions and then shove them off the spear to float/sink and be eaten later. I agree with cicopo, the presence of a spear (or gopro pole?) is probably an additional stimulus.

Just my opinion, of course.

I've seen DM's feed lionfish to sharks (and eels, etc.) on numerous occasions. I do not think it's a good idea to encourage wild animals to associate humans with food.

I heard back in the old days DM carried cheez whiz in cans to bring out the fish. I believe one DM was mentioned on here as the dancer of morays for having a green wrapped around him while he petted the heck outta it, in the old days again.

But yea, yea. Nothing is allowed to be too much fun anymore. Darn it. I have taken to trying to feed mine to lobsters. Just until I hear of lobster attacks. Then anemones.....

Reactions: BRT

Back
Top Bottom