Silicone Seals....are they worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Right In Scuba

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A lot of people ask, call, and ponder if the silicone seals are worth it. I figured I would write something up about them for everyone. We sell about 100+ silicone seals per month, and install about 10-15 systems on suits a week. Less than 2% have any issues with their seals. Now, back in the day (6+ months ago), that figure would have been about 10%. Over a year ago, more like 30% failures. The seals have evolved, and education has helped in the longevity of the seals.

So, why do some people have issues. Well, the silicone seals can be very durable...but they are sensitive. When most people put a seal on, they just push their hand or neck thru the seal. With Latex, the harder you push, the sooner the width opens and your hand pops thru the hole. No problem. Well, with Silicone Seals, they are sooooooo stretchy, that they continue to stretch out before the width opens for your hand to pop thru. So, when you do this, you really are putting stress on the rest of the seal, the part that is stretching. You will see the black seal turn white as it is stressed and stretched. This stress, makes the seal VERY easy to tear or rip when it is stretched. It's like a rubber band. Try and cut one with scissors when it's not stretched. Doesn't really cut well. Now, stretch it tight, and just barely touch it with those scissors....what happens?

Just like anything that is taut, if you touch it with something, it tears. Well, after a short time of being stretched, you will notice that the seal can just tear on it's own. This is because you improperly used it. Now, if you also dive in sandy conditions, or dirty water (we all do), then your system that holds the seal could also aide in ripping your seal. In time, and sometimes short time, sand and grit will get into your system near the seal. Now, if we stretch that seal, that grit can act like a little razor and cause it to also prematurely rip. Even without it being taut, that sand can act as sandpaper against the seal, and wear it down or put small holes in it. Then, the next time you put it on, that weak area, rips.

So what does this mean? Well, if you open the seal properly, instead of just pushing your hand/head thru the seal, they will last almost indefinitely. You will still need to make sure you clean your systems and get the grit out, as that can act as sandpaper and really do some damage. These seals are expensive, take care of them.

So would I wear them? Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.....they are extremely comfortable and that makes up for any issues I have ever had with them. I have had them for almost 2 years with no issues or tears. You just need to use them properly. The best thing about having the silicone seals, is that you have a replaceable seal system. So, if you happen to tear one, just grab a spare from your save a dive kit, and your back in action in a few minutes. Just don't forget to have backups :wink:

I want to second this post and actually encourage every one using a drysuit to give silicone seals a try. You will not want to ever go back to latex, I swear. They have only advantages compared to latex seals. Only advantages!

> super comfy like nothing else
> far more durable
(I admit you gotta be careful with fingernails though, as they are a bit more vulnerable to sharp and pointy things)
> need less care all in all

and the absolute outstanding benefit is that

> you can easily replace a damaged seal all by yourself (if you´re at the dive site, on the boat etc. and you latex seal breaks - dive is over before it has even begun. not so with silicone seals)

So what does this mean? Well, if you open the seal properly, instead of just pushing your hand/head thru the seal, they will last almost indefinitely.

Could you explain the technique in more detail, or maybe post a video? I'm still not sure how to open the seal properly. Tnx.

Mike, can you see any issues with using a diluted silicone lubricant or similar product (Suit Juice or McNetts liquid silicone) on the seals?

Mike, can you see any issues with using a diluted silicone lubricant or similar product (Suit Juice or McNetts liquid silicone) on the seals?

It may dissolve the silicone seals.

Last edited:
It may dissolve the silicone seals.
I realize many things can affect seals, especially latex seals. But silicone by nature is more resistant to many things. I'm hoping there is some actual data or testing available.

Use both hands to put it on. Open it with your finger tips from one hand, and walk it down your other hand onto your wrist :wink:

And use a lubricant, smear of soap, or my favorite - water soluble lubricant (KY)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom