Best light for Lake Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveright

Registered
Reaction score
I am in the market for a Primary light to be used in Lake Michigan wrecks. My diving is getting progressively deeper as my training and experience grows. I am starting my tech classes later this year and want a light that will grow with me. I have searched this tread but to no avail. Will a 10w light be enough or should I go for a 21w. I have been going back and forth between the Diverite 10w, Salvo 10 and 21w lights. I have read alot of great things about the Salvo and the money really wouldnt bother me if its the right light. Thank you in advance for your help and DIVE SAFE!!!

thanks
Mike

diveright:
I am in the market for a Primary light to be used in Lake Michigan wrecks. My diving is getting progressively deeper as my training and experience grows. I am starting my tech classes later this year and want a light that will grow with me. I have searched this tread but to no avail. Will a 10w light be enough or should I go for a 21w. I have been going back and forth between the Diverite 10w, Salvo 10 and 21w lights. I have read alot of great things about the Salvo and the money really wouldnt bother me if its the right light. Thank you in advance for your help and DIVE SAFE!!!

thanks
Mike

Hi Mike.

I would encourage to look at Green Force, www.mantaindustries.com. We offer both 10 and 21 watt HID system. We offer several benefits that other light do not have, they are listed to your left.

In my opinion, either light will work (10 or 21) it would be a matter of preference. I personally think that more light is better and would side for the 21 watt. The draw back with a light as bright as the 21 is if you are in a silty situation it could work against you, like driving in fog with you high beams on. The majority of my diving is on east coast wrecks, I will be heading out on Wednesday and I will be using the 21.

If you have any questions let me know or just ask some members for feedback on our systems.

Thanks - Greg

I started out with a 10W Light Cannon, then used a 10W DR and now use a MetalSub 24W light (even tried/tested their 50W version -- see review HERE)

The way I see it (now) is the more light the better, you will be upgrading in the future anyway. Our waters are quite green and dark, thus the more you have in your hands the better - at least that way you won't get light envy when the guy next to you shows up with an 18/21/24 dwarfing yours.

So go and look at the other lights on the market, there are many great ones out there. Some are the traditional bucket/lid style lights while others offer alternatives to the canister itself (Metalsub, Greenforce, NiteRider) which could be beneficial to your needs.

MetalSub offers lot of the same features as listed above by Greg, with modular heads, multiple batteries, sealed design, multiple mounting options and light head mounted switch, just to name a few.

diveright:

thanks
Mike

Hello Mike,

The visibility in the Great Lakes is usually very good. I’m from Michigan and dove Lake Michigan off of Traverse City but do most of my diving in Lake Huron. I would also have to say that a 10 HID is just good enough for a primary dive light and in a few months you will upgrade it to a brighter light. If you plan to do a lot of tech diving then go for a 21 Watt HID or above.

There are a lot of dive light makes out there, many of them produce poor products, research them all and buy a light to dive with for the next 10 to 15 years. If you want to talk more about the Metalsub line send me your telephone number and I’ll give you a call.

Thanks for the replies guys. I have researched most of the light and would like a 21w but they are pricey. I know they would be worth it. If I dove clear water could you cover the lens with a piece of cloth or something to dim it? I have read that lights of that wattage are too bright for clear night dives but i never found a solution for it.

I don't sell any thing. I have had great service with Salvo. If your not in a big hurry and don't have to have a new one you might try to snag a good used light.

diveright:
Thanks for the replies guys. I have researched most of the light and would like a 21w but they are pricey. I know they would be worth it. If I dove clear water could you cover the lens with a piece of cloth or something to dim it? I have read that lights of that wattage are too bright for clear night dives but i never found a solution for it.

Hi Diveright,

There can be a case made for having to high of an output when night diving in the tropics and disturbing sensitive nocturnal sea life, but in the Great Lakes this is not a concern, the zebra mussels won’t mind ;-)) In the clear waters of the Great Lakes you can never have to much light, with a high wattage HID you’ll just see more of the wreck and have more to talk about with your dive buddy after the dive because you were able to see so much more. Remember to be nice to your buddy and don’t blind ‘em by shining your light in their eyes. I’ve never had anyone in my dive group complain about my 50 watt HID being to bright on a night dive, normally they all huddle around me underwater because they can see so much more in the beam of my light.

I would NOT recommend dimming the light with cloth because that will block the light to much, what you should do in diffusion the light output with photo diffusion foil that you can buy at most photo stores, or you can buy a flood reflector for the dive lights. By spreading the light out you are lowering the intensity (nice for nocturnal animals) and widening your field of view.

Thank you for the replies. I agree that more light is better. I thank you for the Photo Diffusion foil idea. that sounds like it would solve the problem. I have read alot of past posts and think I have decided on the salvo 21 watt/14.4. thanks again guys.

DIVE SAFE
MIKE

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom