Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why backward?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Why backward?

Why do scuba divers always fall backwards out of a boat?

DIMWIT Swamper ;)

Rational Anarchist

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Sounds like you are referring to the 'back roll entry', and it is usually the easiest way to exit a smaller boat with a low gunwale(sp?). The tank breaks the water, allowing you to slide in, roll over, hover and then glide down, especially if done with no air in bc (don't do this unless you know your weighting is spot on and your equipment is all ready to go). I much prefer it to a giant stride, possibly because back roll usually = 6 pack diving and giant stride usually = cattle boat dive, although there are many exceptions.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Try falling in forwards and you'll know. If conditions make standing entries difficult, sitting entries are the next option.

It's easiest to sit on the gunnels facing in, and rolling backwards is the easiest option from that position. In some situations you might prefer to rotate and swing your legs out over the water, then kinda slide in, but it's a lot of work and your tank might ding a wooden or fiberglass boat.

He Who Glows in the Dark Waters (ADVISOR)

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    To keep from pushing the lenses of their masks through their eyeballs.

the K
    Long after man is gone and his dams burst, the rivers will, once again, flow freely to the sea.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    If they fell forward they would land IN the boat. :-)
    Touch me there again and we will have to get married.

DIMWIT Swamper ;)

Rational Anarchist

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
    If they fell forward they would land IN the boat. :-)

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by anoop View Post
    Out of a small boat, it's the easiest way. However, in large boats, these days, most people do what is known as the giant stride. Personally, I miss the back roll. To me, it's much easier to back roll, and then twist around than it is to walk around the deck.

Floppy Ear Mod

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    There is such a thing as a forward roll entry but you have to be careful your tank doesn't slide up and whack the back of your head as you roll forward. It's much easier to sit on some boats and roll backward than to kneel or stand on them in a position that would allow a forward roll. All the forward roll entries I've seen involved the diver rolling over far enough to still hit the water tank first; in other words they do a front flip into the water. I saw two divers in doubles do a synchronized forward roll from the dock at the quarry one day and must admit the "cool factor" was WAY up there LOL! I mean, how often do you see divers in doubles doing front flips?

Please don't try that if you don't know what you're doing.
    Ber
    "I'm not a fan of summer storms. Between the lightening that might blow up my house or the tornado that might throw a cow through it, I don't sleep well." Steve_Dives
    Happy to be a dork diver! www.dorkdiver.com

Regular of the Pub

is probably drunk

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Ber Rabbit View Post
    I saw two divers in doubles do a synchronized forward roll from the dock at the quarry one day and must admit the "cool factor" was WAY up there LOL! I mean, how often do you see divers in doubles doing front flips?

Please don't try that if you don't know what you're doing.
    Ber
    I've done it off a boat. Took me a bit to do it the first time, mind you.

Some boats its easier than trying to maneuver yourself around to do a back roll.
    Men are like a fine wine. They start out as grapes, and it's up to women to stomp the crap out of them until they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.

SEI/CMAS Instructor Trainer

Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by anoop
    We don't. It's not even the most common entry. It is, however, the best entry when diving from a small, unstable boat.
    The Devil's in the details.

Disclaimer: All discussion of value, by me or anyone else, is opinion.

For a comprehensive approach to diving education, check out Scuba Educators International (SEI) Diving.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast