Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Wife is from Cebu, I'm American, LOVED diving in the Philippines

Divemaster
    Badge

Divemaster! So now I get paid
    for slinging tanks?

Dives
    500 - 999

Wife is from Cebu, I'm American, LOVED diving in the Philippines

As the title says, I'm from the US and married a girl from Cebu. I'ved dived all over the southeastern US, the Bahamas and Cayman Islands. Been diving for 20 years this coming spring. I can say without doubt that the most enjoyable diving was in Boracay. I enjoyed everything about it. The way I was usually the only diver on the boat, (or 2 or 3 other divers, NO CATTLE BOATS). The way I had my own divemaster who was kind enough to show me the sites underwater and wait patiently while I took pictures.

The coral, the critters, you name it, I loved it. The friendly people, the laid back way of life really struck a chord with me. It's expensive for us to get there, and we don't have a lot in the budget to spend on travel, but more than reasonable once you get there. Of course we are going back as soon as we can so my wife can see her family. We semi-joke about moving there for good some day.

I realize I'm rambling on here, but I guess I just wanted to introduce myself to this forum. I tell everyone I know here how wonderful the diving and the whole way of life is over there, and it usually raises some eybrows. I must admit, I never considered diving in the Philippines until I met my wife, but I'm sure glad I did!

Master Instructor

Stateside for a couple of
    months

Tongo Poiint Basdiot Moalboal Philippines
    Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    I see you are from VA Beach. I grew up there and much of my family remains in Norfolk and VA Beach. I hope that next time you come to the Philippines you get to visit some of the other great spots that offer good diving. PM me the next time you plan on visiting.

Cheers,
    Roger
    Cheers,
    Roger

Barangay Pasaway

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    wait til you dive the better sites!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by jigo View Post
    wait til you dive the better sites!

I agree, Boracay has some great first class accommodations and is a nice crowded beach, but there is much better diving else where in the Philippines.

Course Director

goes rebreathing now

If you get exited about the sites around Boracay, the you will be amazed by Apo, Negros, Malapascua, Anilao.....

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    you wouldn't be the first to decide to return to the philippines and retire . your $ gets X 43 in value once spent here

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by paolov View Post
    your $ gets X 43 in value once spent here
    That is misleading... just because that is the exchange rate right now for USDPHP, it does'nt mean you are going to have $43, he will have 43 pesos.

1 scoop of ice cream at the mall is 90 pesos !

Divemaster
    Badge

Divemaster! So now I get paid
    for slinging tanks?

Dives
    500 - 999
    I appreciate all the responses! I will for sure be sending out some PMs when we start planning our return trip! Thanks!

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by DonCebu View Post
    That is misleading... just because that is the exchange rate right now for USDPHP, it does'nt mean you are going to have $43, he will have 43 pesos.

1 scoop of ice cream at the mall is 90 pesos !
    maybe i need to explain a bit.

1X = X alternatively $ = 1$ , hence the statement when read would read "... your one united states of american dollar ($) gets times fourty three (x 43) in value once spent here..." hence the equation $= x43 pesos. ofcourse it is in current terms,

now if it were to be read sometime in the future say, Mayan Calendar 2012, the value rate would be computed at that time frame.

i never stated $43 = php43. but $ = 1$ . my apologies if that is the case, my algebra may need to be updated.
    Last edited by paolov; December 2nd, 2011 at 05:50 AM.
    clgsamson likes this.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by paolov View Post
    maybe i need to explain a bit.

1X = X alternatively $ = 1$ , hence the statement when read would read "... your one united states of american dollar ($) gets times fourty three (x 43) in value once spent here..." hence the equation $= x43 pesos. ofcourse it is in current terms,

i never stated $43 = php43. but $ = 1$ . my apologies if that is the case, my algebra may need to be updated.

He will get 43 pesos for 1 dollar, not 43 values for 1 dollar.

$1 = 43 pesos
    NOT
    $1 = 43 values

If you want to compare Peso value against the US value or purchasing-power parity, you can use the Big Mac Index

In July a Big Mac costs in the Phils costs $2.78 (Php118), in the US it cost $4.07.

To estimate the current fair value of a currency they use the “line of best fit” between Big Mac prices and GDP per person. The difference between the price predicted for each country, given its average income, and its actual price offers a better guide to currency under- and overvaluation than the “raw” index.

So the PhP is -33 percent valuation against the USD.

You need to look at economics not algebra.
    Last edited by DonCebu; December 4th, 2011 at 09:03 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast