Scubapro MK11/R395 Opinions/Reviews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sclakediver

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all, I'm in the market for a designated single tank reg set. I've been doing some research and thought I would ask your opinions.

I have a spare G250(the old style) that I would like to use as my primary for single tank diving. The R395 would be used as backup(octo). I can't find any flow charts on the MK11. Is it a hi performer, or just a simple reliable regulator? In a OOA situation, is this reg sufficient for sharing at depth or is it better suited for buddy breathing?

Does anyone know where I can find a flow chart on this reg? Your comments are appreciated.

I've used the MK11 for nearly a year as a singles reg, and I've been very happy with it. It has breathed just fine down to 120 feet (the max I've been with it), and I haven't gotten any complaints from my buddies during air sharing. I use the 395 as a backup, and I'm actually surprised at how well it breathes. One thing; the MK11 is not environmentally sealed (the MK17 is the same exact reg, but environmentally sealed) , so if you're planning on going into cold waters, you might consider the MK17.

Hope this helps :)

It's a good, quality setup.

I've used the MK11 for about a year w/ a S600. Good reg and a solid performer, plus light for travel. If you're doing very cold water might be worth getting the MK17, same reg essentially, but sealed for cold water protection.

From disacussions I had with my LDS...

The MK11 is exactly the same as the MK17 except for the enviro kit and a slight drop in performance. Therefor: you can upgrade the MK11 to MK17 standards later for the cost of the service and parts. So if you want to start off a bit lower spec/price and possibly grow in the future, then i think the MK11 is a great reg.:D

Thanks for the replies. You gave me the comfirmation I was hoping to hear. I currently have two MK17/G250's set up for doubles and I just want a dedicated reg for single tank use. I like the MK17, but wanted to know how the MK11 compared performance wise.

Hey everyone, im looking for a new reg setup now, i was looking at a MK11, but i live in Wisconsin and do more cold water diving than not, so i was thinking of a MK17, what would a goot first 2nd regulator be? im thinking a R395 as the second, but for a primary reg, im not sure what is the best for cold water diving, thanks

If you're mixing an matching have a look at the Hog 2nd.
If sticking to Scubapro you can't go wrong with a G250....just not the HP version for cold water.

The MK17 and MK11 are identical stages, except one is environmental sealed and the other is not. Both of them are the highest performing diaphragm first stage regs. I remember reading somewhere that a MK17 can flow >250 SCFM. You will have very good set of regs with G250 as a primary, and R395 as an octo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom