Problem with generic braided hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been chatting to a friend of mine in Thailand about this and he is making contact with the original poster to see if there is any additional info. I have a de funct generic braided from DGX I'm going to cut it open to see what's inside and just how possible this is. Seems strange given the number of these hoses that are in circulation, I would have thought there'd be more reports.

---------- Post added July 24th, 2015 at 08:06 PM ----------

I wonder if the hose is left baking in the hot sun on a continuos basis that this would create such a material break down.

---------- Post added July 24th, 2015 at 08:08 PM ----------

Knowing the mechanism, if there was one, that caused this would help alleviate concerns. A one off?

---------- Post added July 24th, 2015 at 08:09 PM ----------

I trust DGX.

---------- Post added July 24th, 2015 at 09:18 PM ----------

Copy and paste update:

So... 'Polymorphic Crystallization' has been suggested as the cause of the 'debris' inside the regulator hoses that caused an out-of-gas emergency this week.
Polymorphic yellow crystals from the hose inner layer. The process is the same which causes chocolate to go white, brittle and raise its melting point over time and/or after heat.
"... common example of changes in polymorphism is shown by chocolate that has suffered heating and/or long storage. Over time, or when it resets after softening, it may have white patches on it, no longer melts in your mouth,... "

---------- Post added July 24th, 2015 at 09:19 PM ----------

Link to additional info on the topic:

https://www2.chemistry.msu.edu/faculty/reusch/VirtTxtJml/physprop.htm

How do we know that CA is selling the "good ones"? In my eyes the good ones are miflex branded hoses. All my braided hoses are from DRIS and have no brand name on them. How many companies are actually making these hoses, are there only two, Miflex and who ever makes the rest of them or are there many others? I would think the only way to find out which of the generic hoses are the good ones is to know where the retailers are sourcing them from. Not trying to pick a fight just a little concerned. It would be nice to know where the failed hoses came from and what retailers are selling the hose in question.

call and ask, the fittings are different than the DGX ones. I know they're the same as the dive rite hoses, just can't remember who is the supplier

How do we know that CA is selling the "good ones"? In my eyes the good ones are miflex branded hoses. All my braided hoses are from DRIS and have no brand name on them. How many companies are actually making these hoses, are there only two, Miflex and who ever makes the rest of them or are there many others? I would think the only way to find out which of the generic hoses are the good ones is to know where the retailers are sourcing them from. Not trying to pick a fight just a little concerned. It would be nice to know where the failed hoses came from and what retailers are selling the hose in question.

I had a Miflex HP HOSE explode on the 1st stage side yesterday. I had previously sent the hose back to XSSCUBA and they assured me that it was not one of those subject to recall. SPG flew 35 feet from the tank. Exciting stuff.

Getting people to switch to braided hoses was part of the original Communist Party platform.

Getting people to switch to braided hoses was part of the original Communist Party platform.

I must be a closet Communist...only use them for LP :D

There are only a couple people that make the hoses, but they do offer different levels of hose and fittings. Ours never went thru the recall due to having the more expensive fitting alreadyalready installed. I'm not saying we haven't had the occasional hose leak on a new hose, but it's at the same rate as rubber. Ours have never had a burst to date.

I can't speak at what quality of hose anyone else buys, or if this issue is related to that or something else with the hose

Back
Top Bottom