Octo on a necklace ... with a twist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A practice/training run trying out the configuration would do wonders. A local divemaster had never used an Air II before and tried it out in the pool during a class. He handed the Air II to his buddy. Luckily this was during a pool session. I can't remember why he had the rental BCD as he usually dives a bp/w.

DrDuktayp

Twice now I have seen a recreational diver jetting off to do a nice dive with their octo bungied around their necks.

Which shouldn't be surprising. The setup is very well thought out and I believe is much safer than the conventional "now where did my buddy stick his octo this time" approach.

The only thing with these two divers was ... they had no long hose!

sure they weren't on some sort of break away necklace? someone I got into diving recently wouldn't go for the long hose (or 5' hose) arrangement, but had problems with octo clips and "where the heck is it". so at my suggestion the octo is on a rubber necklace that with a moderate tug gives up the octo w/o pulling off the mouth piece. the octo hose is yellow, as is the octo reg and necklace, and the host is standard octo length. a reasonable approach IMHO for someone who won't go for the better (IMHO long/5' hose setup)

Bondage and diving don't mix. For safety, a diver must be able to get free of gear quickly should the need arise. The regulator must be able to break free of the necklace easily to accomodate this need.

I've never once had a problem taking the necklace off by just lifting it over my head. That qualifies as quick in my book. In the unlikely event the necklace gets caught up in something, there's always my knife, and most break away connections stay around your neck, so you're not gaining anything there either.

For the most part though, I like having my tanks and reg on my back while I'm diving. It makes breathing a lot easier.

I can't think of any situation where I'd want my backup to come free. Even if someone else grabs it, I want it to stay put so that when they let go and take the reg I'm now pushing towards their mouth, I don't have to go fumbling for it. But as soon as that happens I'm giving up diving, because if they manage to get ahold of the backup two inches from my chin before I notice them coming at me, I shouldn't be diving.

Tom

I use a bungeed backup with standard bungee using fisherman's knots to hold the bungee to the reg, on a 22" hose. It stays put, but can be pulled loose if you are determined. Best of both worlds, IMO.

BTW, for my primary I use a 7' hose or a 40" with 90 degree elbow (not swivel, see my gallery for pics) routed under my right arm, though I think for recreational dives I'm going to start using the 5' primary instead.

Last edited:
Bondage and diving don't mix. For safety, a diver must be able to get free of gear quickly should the need arise. The regulator must be able to break free of the necklace easily to accomodate this need.
I think gear removal would be my last choice in any emergency, but never the less, taking a bungee over my neck would be a lot faster than undoing my harness, crotch strap, light cord, and drysuit inflation hose...

Sharing air, is my ability to provide immediate life support to an out of air diver. I want to give my very best air supply from the one reg I know for certain is functioning perfectly, the one I've been breathing from. :wink:

My backup is kept on a short hose and bungied under my neck, so I'm not searching after donating my primary.

Sharing air, is my ability to provide immediate life support to an out of air diver. I want to give my very best air supply from the one reg I know for certain is functioning perfectly, the one I've been breathing from. :wink:

Funny you should mention that. I think the best reason to donate the primary is that it keeps (or at least should keep) people from buying really crappy backup regs, since in an emergency, you-know-who will be breathing on it.

In an emergency the last thing anybody wants is a regulator that feels like it can't deliver enough air.

Terry

I'd call it a secondary reason, but now that you mention it, I've never seen anyone with a bungee-d backup diving with a real crappy reg.

Tom

Funny you should mention that. I think the best reason to donate the primary is that it keeps (or at least should keep) people from buying really crappy backup regs, since in an emergency, you-know-who will be breathing on it.
That's ridiculous. Why would you dive with anyone who isn't responsible enough to maintain all of their equipment, including their secondary air source? I maintain mine for me first and then my buddy. I check both air sources before submerging. Anyone who doesn't is gambling with their life. My secondary is also on a breakaway bungee around my neck so there is little risk of it getting mucked up during a dive. Granted my secondary air source is nicer than most rec divers' primaries, but that's because of the type of diving I do. Most rec divers just need something to get them back to the surface. They don't necessarily need two $800 regs hanging off their tanks.

The best reason to donate your primary IMHO is because an OOA, possibly panicky, diver is going to go for the first reg they see working. That's going to be someone's primary. Of course, you want to maintain control of your air source, but they may still surprise you and rip your reg right out of your mouth. If your secondary is hanging on a bungee around your neck it's quick and easy for you put it in your mouth and start breathing off of it. Additionally, if you have your primary on a long hose you can give yourself and your buddy a little working room to get things sorted out prior to surfacing. I'd recommend a long hose in open water as well as confined environments. I've shared it in both and like the extra length. That's just a personal preference in OW though.

Task loading is another factor. Giving an OOA diver your primary is simple and quick. They are in a difficult enough situation already without having to clear a secondary reg that they are not familiar with or even sure works. You, on the other hand, should be familiar with it and know it is well-maintained and in good working condition.

You called his statement ridiculous, but you also kinda validated what he was trying to say.

I would like to point out that the two times I ran out of air, I didn't grab a regulator out of anyone's mouth...

The first time was on my certification dives 12 years ago. The second was doing my DM skills circuit in the pool, and trying to get as many in as I could before I bled down the tank. Interesting giving the OOA signal, and the instructor stepping in, and telling the other DMC THEY were out of air, and share with me. No, really, I'm almost out of air. No you're not. Yes I am...I gave up trying to explain, and just stood up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom