Dissatisfied with DSS boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, so I'm a dummy that overstressed and over stretched the mount.

You've missed the point Perrone.

I don't want anybody to have a problem with any product I make, but when I know most users are having success, and the few that do not are "cured" via education changing the part is not the answer.

The guy that comes to me and says, "I've had a problem, what can I do to avoid it in the future?" will most often find a replacement part in his mail box N/C.

Why? Because they are willing to learn and modify their use.

OTOH, the guy that declares the part "defective" and needs to be redesigned and further states that they did "nothing wrong" isn't going to be helped with replacement parts, whether they get them for free or buy them.

They are already convinced the fault lies entirely with the part. They in fact often have a "need" to prove just that by breaking another one.

Most users have success, a few do not. Is it the part or the manner in which it is used?

Tobin

I've had a couple wear through. Like Perrone, I consider them a consumable item. I use shock cord instead of bungie, and over time, it seems to chew through the boot. It's easy to spot, and since the wear isn't even, one is never going to have both bungies go at once.

Mine get really stressed because I have to stretch them over dry suit rings, but then the bungie has to be short enough that the gauge doesn't spin on my arm behind the rings.

I think the sheer comfort and convenience of using the boots, as well as the increased security of the gauge, is well worth the possibility of having to replace one every once in a while.

Tobin, FWIW, I have over a thousand dives on mine in the last few years, in warm water, cold water, drysuit, wetsuit (just tie another knot in the bungie) and the thing looks as good as it did when I bought it. I have replaced a compass a couple of times, but not your mount that it fits in. I have a manufacturing business also. You can't please all the people all the time. There is always going to be someone................Keep up the good work. Thanks for investing in a niche market. PM me if you need furniture.....:)

I made my bungees a bit too long and mounted a cord lock on each loop. Easy to put the computer on my wrist, and the loop size adjust - quite easily - to any suit thickness I've worn so far. The cord lock holds the loops tight enough to keep the computer in place, but will let the cord slip if I tighten them too much.

Just an idea.

Henrik

Why aren't there 12 other choices for after market bungee ready mounts?

Because the typical injection mold costs $10-20K, more for complicated, negative draft parts that have to be "jumped" off the core.

I've made a good faith effort to try and service the tiny little market for after market gauge mounts. I hate to think about the fact I will probably NEVER recover the cost of the molds.
Crap
There goes my hope of a bungee mount for the galileo terra :depressed:

I made my bungees a bit too long and mounted a cord lock on each loop. Easy to put the computer on my wrist, and the loop size adjust - quite easily - to any suit thickness I've worn so far. The cord lock holds the loops tight enough to keep the computer in place, but will let the cord slip if I tighten them too much.

Just an idea.

Henrik

Genius... :D

I have the DSS mounts for a TUSA Hunter and the VT3 and havent had a problem with several hundred dives on them. However I dove with a Finnish diver last week who had a Suunto V-something and he had a small tear in one of the double-hole sides which did not interfere with his usage. During out talk about the mount he said he had pulled it the bungee tight one time in his opinion during an ice dive and took responsibity for the breakage. It was/is his intention to order a new one shortly.

I also consider the mounts to be a wear item and the cost is negligible enough for me to buy new when necessary. Having said that... what are the chances for a Suunto D6 bungee mount...?

I have the DSS mounts for a TUSA Hunter and the VT3 and havent had a problem with several hundred dives on them. However I dove with a Finnish diver last week who had a Suunto V-something and he had a small tear in one of the double-hole sides which did not interfere with his usage. During out talk about the mount he said he had pulled it the bungee tight one time in his opinion during an ice dive and took responsibity for the breakage. It was/is his intention to order a new one shortly.

I also consider the mounts to be a wear item and the cost is negligible enough for me to buy new when necessary. Having said that... what are the chances for a Suunto D6 bungee mount...?

At this point I have zero enthusiasm for ANY new mounts.

Tobin

At this point I have zero enthusiasm for ANY new mounts.

Tobin

In the past, I have considered buying a large batch of mounts (and other assorted gadgets) from you, in the small chance that you decide to leave the scuba business. Why? Because no one else makes them of such high quality and smart design, and they have made such a positive impact on my diving that I don't want to dive without them.

One of my buddies had a uwatec bottom timer mount tear slightly, and Tobin sent him a new one. But that one wasn't 100% torn (more like 90%) but it was still held together enough that I could use it until I decided to grab one of my own -- it never finished tearing completely, btw. :wink:

Chances are we had the bungee too tight, so we have made sure to not do the same thing in the future. Problem solved.

Tobin makes great products, has fantastic customer service, and a loyal following. Don't give him a reason to leave the scuba business...we would lose a valuable asset to our community.

Nude Diver -- How exactly did you have the loops tied on your mount? I have two separate loops on each mount so that if one side somehow breaks or comes undone, there is still a second side for redundancy.

Lynne -- what is the difference between bungee and shock-cord? I thought they were one and the same...?

Just an idea.

Henrik

Henrik - Where do you get the cord locks and can you post a pic of them? Love the idea, just having a hard time visualizing what it looks like.

Tobin - I am by no means a manufacturer, but i do work in a capacity that requires a lot of customer engagements. Unfortunately, in this type of role people do not typically, report anything when they are happy....only when things aren't what they expect (whether actual or perceived and not necessarily right or wrong). More importantly, you will never be able to please 100% of the people. I have only been on here a short amount of time, but I think it is very apparent that your work is greatly appreciated, typically communicated in an indirect manner. Please keep up the great work and don't let one person's dissatisfaction stifle you efforts. A prefect example of this is exactly what you stated above. I purchased a SK7 mount and on my first dive with it I broke it. It was apparent why it was broken so I purchased another one a have been diving with it since without any problems. The problem wasn't with what you produced, but how I implemented it. Ultimately, my point is that I am very pleased with, but you never would have known until now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom