Dissatisfied with DSS boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I'm diving with no wetsuit, the bottom timer goes further up my arm.

I tried something like that. Unfortunately my rapidly declining near vision, makes bringing gauges closer a bad idea :) I'm seriously shopping for a prescription solution, so maybe ...

I know the loops aren't ideal "snag" wise, but so far I'm just diving recreationally in very benign conditions, so for me it's less of a concern.

Henrik

Also note that the loops in the pic are excessively large since I did it very quick for the sake of the picture. I have have cut them down and minimized the size of the loop reducing the risk. Once I get the "two-hole" locks, I will be able to cut them down further without having to run the risk of the bungee pulling through.

I will give it a shot this weekend to see if I have a problem with it snagging. Since I am primarily in open water and not doing and digging, hunting, or anything else along those lines, I think it will serve its purpose well. We shall see...

I just tie a knot in my shock cord, when I dive wet. Works well and doesn't leave a loop hanging down.

Hey hey now... I live in Alaska and have the DSS boots too. Mine work just fine, no wear to speak of, and I dive them at least once a week.

I'm using 1/8th inch shock cord (like Lynn), and also pulling mine over big Viking dry glove rings. I laced mine as per the instructions provided, and secured the bungee with double fisherman's knots (which tuck perfectly in the little center recessed area). Honestly, when laced proper I don't see how they're going to easily rip the material, the stress is spread pretty evenly over the 4 holes on each side. Either way, no problems here, I love them.

Thanks for the awesome product Tobin!

-B

I guess it's time to check my bungie mounts and slacken the bungie cords up. I think I've been gotten carried away with how tight the bungies need to be.

Hey hey now... I live in Alaska and have the DSS boots too. Mine work just fine, no wear to speak of, and I dive them at least once a week.

I'm using 1/8th inch shock cord (like Lynn), and also pulling mine over big Viking dry glove rings.

Thanks for the awesome product Tobin!

-B

2nd this!!

Dave

Once I get the "two-hole" locks, I will be able to cut them down further without having to run the risk of the bungee pulling through.

I noticed on my fleece jacket, that the bungee loop has a small nylon washer threaded on it. That prevents the loop from slipping through the single hole cord lock *and* makes it easier to pull on the loop when it's pulled all the way tight to the cord lock.

Henrik

At this point I have zero enthusiasm for ANY new mounts.

Tobin

That's a damned shame, your products are awesome and I love my compass mount and wish you made one for my computer, I guess I'll just ****can the computer and buy one you make a mount for.

I have three boots (Suunto compass, Uwatec BT and Nitek Duo) and LOVE them. No problems here.

TOBIN .... PLEASE DON'T STOP MAKING THEM!!!!

One of my buddies had a uwatec bottom timer mount tear slightly, and Tobin sent him a new one.
My uwatec bottom timer mount has a similar problem.

It may be that the cord was done too tight. My compass mount OTOH has no problems. Both are about 3 years old.

Back
Top Bottom