First BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do know dropping weight is not for normal ascents. The only reason to ditch weights I understand is if there is a problem suck as the bc won't inflate and you can't ascend for some reason normally.

As a new diver, you shouldn't be diving with so much weight that you'd be unable to swim your rig to the surface. Once at the surface, you can drop weights to keep yourself afloat.

As a new diver, you shouldn't be diving with so much weight that you'd be unable to swim your rig to the surface. Once at the surface, you can drop weights to keep yourself afloat.

Sorry I disagree,
In diving wetsuits in cold water it is very common to have enough weight that you couldn't swim up with your gear in the event of a bladder failure. You need enough weight to overcome the buoyancy of the wetsuit and enough to offset the buoyancy change of the tank when nearly empty at 15' with the wetsuit decompressing. This can easily add up to 20# or more depending on the wetsuit and accessories. The wetsuit looses it's buoyancy at depths even limited to 60'. That kind of weight can make it hard for even a strong swimmer. If this is saltwater additional weight would be needed making the problem even greater.
This is exactly why most mainstream BCD are designed with 30# or great lift and easily dumpable weights. It may not be neccessary for divers who are experienced and dive regularly but the average OW diver often does have a need for these characterisics.
Then the buddy that want to consider not just their own safety but an increased margin to be able to perform a rescue and you can understand why a increased lift requirement in their equipment.

I do realize as a beginner I will not be diving with a tremendous about of weight but I would like to buy a bc that will last me passed beginner status. I am also thinking what if a fin strap breaks and loose a fin. I'm sure I will need some sort of help to make it to the surface. Would it be better to ditch some weight or inflate the bc some? Just to let you all know I tend to way overthink things.

I do realize as a beginner I will not be diving with a tremendous about of weight but I would like to buy a bc that will last me passed beginner status. I am also thinking what if a fin strap breaks and loose a fin. I'm sure I will need some sort of help to make it to the surface. Would it be better to ditch some weight or inflate the bc some? Just to let you all know I tend to way overthink things.

In that case may I suggest looking into the DIR forum?

(That was a joke. Don't do that)

Something else to think about is service after the sale. No matter how long you have the equipment you should have it looked at and serviced to ensure that is working properly. Zeagle BC's are everywhere, at least in the US, easy to get parts for and with a large network of dealers. Over the last few years it has been very difficult to get parts for Beuchat equipment and their dealer network is, well, a bit on the thin side.
I have never used the Masterlift but it does appear similar to a number of other BC or BP/W systems out there that you should be able to find something comparable that will be easier to grow with and maintain.

I used the weight belt for years, and now have a weight integrated BC.

A BC with integrated weights has an advantage. To make it to the surface by ditching some lead, you don't have to remove the whole load. I often use two 2lb. non-ditchable weights and two 3 pounders in the weight pockets. Dropping one three pound pocket (in practice) gets me going upward. Dropping 10 lb. would be a fast trip up.

Granted, this is not common practice, but the advantage seems to go to integrated weights.

Something else to think about is service after the sale. No matter how long you have the equipment you should have it looked at and serviced to ensure that is working properly. Zeagle BC's are everywhere, at least in the US, easy to get parts for and with a large network of dealers. Over the last few years it has been very difficult to get parts for Beuchat equipment and their dealer network is, well, a bit on the thin side.
I have never used the Masterlift but it does appear similar to a number of other BC or BP/W systems out there that you should be able to find something comparable that will be easier to grow with and maintain.

That is the one biggest reason I am leaning towards the zeagle bc. If something were to fail service will be limited. Also lets face it the majority of bc's out there have around 35 lbs lift like the escape. The 63 lbs lift of the beuchat is just at best overkill.

just posted a lenghty reply to a similar question here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/buoyancy-compensators-bcs-weight-systems/305492-bcd-advice.html

if you read it, you will see I went through several very different setups and landed at BP/W, so naturally that's what I suggest.

I agree with the one who said you will probably go through several cycles of gear buying :)
This is also an argument for a BP/W setup: it will grow with you due to it's modular nature.

The repairability is also an argument for BP/W: first, there is very little to break (most BCDs have heavily strained seams that WILL fail sooner or later). Second, the basic setup is alwas similar so most components are interchangeable between suppliers.

Happy diving! d.s.f.

I do know dropping weight is not for normal ascents. The only reason to ditch weights I understand is if there is a problem suck as the bc won't inflate and you can't ascend for some reason normally. That is why I thought being able to drop the weight individually would be better then just dumping it all at once and riding the rocket to the top. My thoughts about the higher lift ability is what if my dive buddy has problems and cant ascend. will #35 lbs lift be enough to help them to the surface?

You need to learn a little more about this before you select equipment based on incorrect premises. For example, in recreational diving, properly outfitted and weighted, the only place you would consider dumping weight is at the surface - recreational gear is light enough to swim up and wet suit expansion will help you along the way. As for buddy on the surface, inflate his bc (orally if necessary). If bc has failed then dump his weights or the entire rig if necessary. 35 lbs. is more than enough for single tank recreational diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom