Thinking about Belize, Where to stay? What is there to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmoore19

Denizen of the PUB
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK so it is winter, it is cold and we just returned from a Roatan vacation. We are exploring the possibilities and Belize seems like a good place. I am a diver, my wife is not. She may want to do some snorkeling but would also be happy hanging out, relaxing and some exploring. We don't need 5 star accomodations, would prefer something that would give us a taste of Belize. We have been to Cozumel and Roatan which, both were great and wonderful. Still looking around at places we haven't been. Any suggestions? Any thoughts? I discovered a lot of things on Scubaboard and learned a lot about the other places. I am open to options.

I would like 3 maybe 4 dives a day. My diving experience is such that I am still somewhat inexperienced. We have done AI in the past but might consider a rental if it would be convenient. May take a day or so off to wander around. Would probably like around 7 days worth maybe a couple of days more if needed. The price range, well that depends on what is possible. I am not rich but will spend if really worth it.

That is pretty loose description of what I am looking for but I am open to option.

The main diving destinations are San Pedro, one of the Cayes or Placencia. You can get more dives in per day in San Pedro or one of the cayes. When I moved to Belize about 5 years ago, I chose Placencia because in addition to diving, there are lots of other things to do because it is on the mainland (well people say Placencia is the caye you can drive to). Most dive trips out of Placencia are two tank trips with some three tank dives. Your wife would probably be happiest with Placencia. There is a range of accommodation to fit almost any budget. You can get more information on placenciabreeze.com or splashbelize.com

Thanks for your help. We are still verrrry early in the planning stages.

Try this: Huracan Diving. I am not allowed to post the URL because I'm a newbie but it's huracandiving dot com.

It's way out on Long Caye and quite isolated, but the divemaster is excellent, groups are very small, and his wife is an incredible host and cook. The other advantage of being on Long Caye is that it's only 20 minutes from the Blue Hole, so you can dive it multiple times and at a good length if you want to. We were out there last February and it was spectacular, might go back this year.

The best guide book I've seen on Belize is Insight Guide Belize. List price is $24 and well worth it even at that price but you can get it for less at Amazon.

Tons of information about the country, including history, culture, sights to see, things to do and places to stay. Lots of color photographs. It's not a dive oriented book but does have some diving information in it. For more specific diving info, you could pick up a Belize dive guide at your LDS.

Between the two, you should be able to develop lots of great ideas for the both of you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom