Not allowing regs with dive computer in carry on bags on flight leaving DR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carried my regs and dive computers RT to St Thomas. Sounds like an over zealous guard.

Bah! I still want to know what set of 5k computer/regulator setup you have.

The only thing I've ever had trouble carrying on was my HID canister light when returning from Malaysia through LAX. I was forced to check my $800 light. I was not happy about that, to say the least & to boot that bag's arrival was delayed 24 hrs. Before that, I had never had any issues carrying on my light.

I checked my HID can light once.

When I returned home I discovered that TSA had connected the battery and tested the light. Trouble is, they left the light on (or it accidentally switched on) in the Pelican box. The Delrin light head was a melted pile of goo.

We flew AA from Managua to Miami last Sat & security would not allow my reg as hand luggage. Had to go & retrieve my checked bag & put it in. My wrist computer was allowed as carry on.

There definately seems to be different views by security on what can and cannot go on board.

Bah, I keep checking back wondering when goober is going to post which regulator setup he has that costs 5k.

My husband had his Cobra in his carry-on coming home from Egypt (I think it was) and the Amsterdam security people wouldn't let it on the plane, on the basis that it was big and heavy and you could hit someone with it.

They let me on with a big, thick book though . . .

WOOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!!! a $850 hammer....

I will be calling TSA to see WTF is going on....
I doubt that they will tell you anything not on their website. Some details are left to be handled by the agent's discretion and some of that is so the terrorists won't know too much as they look for loopholes.

Flying into the US as this thread discussion started, local security agents more or less screen to TSA standards but have their own rules that differ some. Go by the website rules, then try to stay flexible.

On three trips in and out of Jamaica, I'll not had any difficulty with regs in my carry-ons, in either direction.

I'm flying out of Orlando this trip in Dec so I'm hoping no issues with TSA there with my carry-on regs.

I just got back from an AA trip to Jamaica from O'Hare with a connection in Miami (I'll NEVER do that again-what a hassle). So I had to pass through security screening three times during the trip with my regulator and DC setup in my carry-on. NOT ONCE was it even mentioned. I was ready for somebody to open my bag to at least look at it. Nada.

I'd say they're getting more used to seeing SCUBA gear in carry-ons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom