New safety device - survey - 2nd try ;)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Done i would be instrested

Inside wrecks?

Does the buddy device look like this....

dive-reel-3-1.jpg

:shakehead:

Umm well - with an extraordinary fantasy ... one might eventually be able to find a hint of indiscernible similarity I reckon. :wink:

Once more concerning the price with respect to Andy's link to the other divice which costs $100 (without any personal opinion about it, only wanna add some 'facts'):

- price of the product my survey is about is not yet fixed
- one PAIR implies it is for TWO people, so assume HALF of the price
- there are additional functions not covered by the sonar-thing (link you sent Andy) --> not really comparable, also concerning size and mode of carrying it with you... the device my survey is about doesn't have to be carried around for instance
- according to statistics, losing the buddy is something that happens frequently

Christina

Even if someone was stupid enough to buy one they'd STILL have to persuade their buddy to wear one as well. Unless the buddy is crap and knows he is why would he bother?
I wouldnt wear some random bulky wrist thing just because ive been paired up with a paranoid diver who has no concept of buddy skills. Chances are they'll ruin my dive anyway if they think they need such a device.

I'm trying to think of what type of display it would have; digital compass with distance and depth of companion? Would the minimal skilled diver who is task loaded and lost his bud in low vis, competently find his dive bud with one more thing to keep up with? I just have trouble imagining a diver who can't manage keeping a 5ft+ long object and maintaining a planned depth will manage better with a "souped up" compass/range finder.:idk:

i took the survey, too - my opinion is it's a solution in search of a problem and the survey was leading and incomplete.

really, 'ow, aow, rescue, dm'? that's all the categories? where's 'an/dp, full cave, trimix'?

but i know where you're coming from, and hope you get usable data...

really, 'ow, aow, rescue, dm'? that's all the categories? where's 'an/dp, full cave, trimix'?

It offers OW/AOW/Rescue/DM then later on goes to ask are you an instructor with different sets of questions.

As i said, very badly thought out. If its for a degree level thesis its a fail as the survey questions aren't good enough to get statistically viable results.

Thank you for the comments and feedback!!!

What about female opinions..? :blinking:

In general, my opinion is that females are good. :)

Regarding this product... from casual observation, the instances of buddy separation that I have heard about, read about and experienced myself have been due to poor technique/procedure. And then of course, there are the insta-buddies with no cohesive dive plan.

For me, fixing the problem upstream is not only cheaper, it would be more effective.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom