Which wetsuit for Hawaii right now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just came back from Maui where I did 5 dives...2 in just a 3mm shorty. I also did 2 dives with a 3 mm farmer john with jacket. I never got cold.

btw what is the water temp in mid-summer? last time i was there it was apx 78 ~ 60fsw. I'm booking a trip and wanted to start thining about if i bring my drysuit or not. (i dive Dry in FL springs @ 72 degrees, and only start getting cold at about the 200 min mark with serious unders, i dive the same setup in seattle and locally with an added layer at 48 degrees for about 60 minutes beforee the cold starts setting in)

sorry for the hijack

It depends on how cold you get and your activity level. I wear a 7mm suit designed for Monterey when I'm going to spend an hour or so as still as I possibly can be, but I can get by, if I'm moving along, with a 3mm just fine. I was out freediving today, with just a bathing suit.

btw what is the water temp in mid-summer?

I was on Maui in early July last summer and late August. In July the water temp was 77-78 degrees and at the end of August it was 78-79. Remember that because Hawaii is in the middle of the Pacific, the temperature at the top is the same as at bottom.

It changes every year. Last year we spent nearly the entire year at 77/78, bumped up to 80 in November then dropped to 76 by December. Won't have a real clue what this summer will look like 'til May/June, then again it could be like this year where it didn't really change, usually the temps start to bump up in late spring or early summer. I'm seeing 75/76 right now, have seen a few 73s on some computers, but I'm thinking it's just the variation between computers as most of our customers seem to match my computers.

good info - i typically get cold easily (and have been doing nothing but cold water dives for a while) so dry it is and a few variations in undergarmets and i'll pack my 3mm shortie as well just incase :) and for snorkling.

Don't forget that your surface interval air temperature will be in the low 90s, making it easy to warm up between dives. Personally, I get cold very easily but find a 5mm full suit is perfect for diving Maui in the summer.

That's what zippers are for :) have to stip off my wetsuit anyway - my drysuit is quicker to get stipped down

Back
Top Bottom