Which wetsuit for Hawaii right now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll be in Maui in a week and the Big Island in 2 weeks diving on both islands, and I get cold easily... I wear a full 3mm with beanie everyday in Cozumel in July (~82*), and have been known to add my hooded vest for night dives (80*) For later in the trip dives I'm cold with the beanie but never really bother with the hassle of the hooded vest. I feel most of the cold in my arms honestly.

In the Cenotes with my full 3 and hooded vest, I'm always freezing (hence investing in this 5mm).

That said, I'm bringing a 5mm and was going to bring a beanie, but I'm thinking I should bring my 5mm hooded vest as well.

Out of those of you stating you got cold in general, were any of you wearing hoods or beanies?

I hate hoods, so although I know it would help tremendously, I just can't go there. My husband's LavaCore is hooded and he thinks it made all the difference in the world layered under the 5 mil full suit.

If you get cold easily, I'd recommend you bring the 5mm hooded vest for layering. Honestly, I've yet to hear of someone complaining about being too warm!! Surface intervals can be cold due to clouds and wind, so bring a boat coat or something warm to wear between dives as well.

I've been binge diving on Maui for eight years (diving my brains out during vacations). I started out with no wetsut back in the day. Now, I wear a cheesy 3 mil. It seems to me that I get colder on the surface than from the diving because of the wind. A few years ago, I stopped by Maui Dreams in S. Kihei and the sold me a "boat coat" which is this long double sided nylon coat with hood. What an amazingly simple solution! It changed the way I felt about being cold. It wasn't the diving, it was the surface time in the wind that was chilling me down so badly.

I also notice that the really calm divers, the ones trying to milk tanks for every minute who know not to kick the large muscles, are typically the coldest. Stands to reason, don't move around, get cold. So, I'd add that if you're an avid air conserver instead of a spastic look around diver, wear a 5 mil or better with a hood.

As far as touching in Hawaii. There is a LOT of rock, it's very easy to see. The coral's growing on the rock. We went around the corner at Molokini and the DM instructed us to "hang on" to find a rock surface at the ridge and watch for awhile for big critters (this is an optimal place for large sharks, whales, and rays to frequently be seen). It made a lot of sense. Everyone stayed close, relaxed, conserved air instead of fighting the current and enjoyed the view.

Whoa! a 7mm in 75 degree water! Who'da thunk it!?

I remember in the Keys right before Katrina, the water temp was in the low 90s. We were doing a wreck dive and on the surface it was BRUTALLY hot. My buddy started sliding on his suit because "we were going on a deep wreck dive" Nothing ever felt better in the world for me than to cool off down on that wreck!

Chilly in 77f/25c waters? I find that hard to believe lol, I just had a dive yesterday in 25c waters with my 5/4m suit no hood, quite warm I would say, letting air into the suit from the arms was very nice. I have a feeling that warmer waters I may need a thinner suit.

I have rechargable solar power heated wetsuits for the winter months. They work awesome for me. I'm able to do two or three dives a day in a 3/2 and only get chilly, not freezing cold by the end of the day. Check with me and I can show you how they work.

They're a big improvement over my previous suit:

never_fart_in_a_wet_suit.jpg

Ha ha.. couldn't resist.. two threads in a row about wetuits!!

Happy New Year Everyone!! SHAKA!

Every diver and body type is so different when it comes to wetsuits. A 5mm is a good bet this time of year, wear more if you get cold easily. Another big consideration is how many dives you will be doing in a day. The second or third dive of the day is way colder than the first! check out this site's FAQ page, they have some good info on Hawaii Water temps.

Frequently Asked Questions about Oahu Scuba Diving | Hawaii

Aloha!

Well, we're back home now and I'm just here to report that the 5mm and 5mm hooded vest was NOT enough!!! If you get cold easily, you'll need more than that!

I'll put it into perspective... I wear a full 3mm and beanie in Cozumel in June and July. If you feel the same, you'll need more neoprene.

I would take about a 3 to 5 mm. if you wanted something a little warmer.... i would take a 7 mm. The water temp there right now is about 74-75.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom