Which wetsuit for Hawaii right now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

capybara

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I am going to Maui tomorrow and was wondering what the water temps are right now and which wetsuit I should bring. I have a 3 mm Henderson Gold core plus 3 mm Henderson core warmer that I can put over that, or I have a Bare 6.5 mm fullsuit. Which one would be more appropriate? Thanks for your help!

A full 3m will be fine.

GET GLOVES !!!

I got "polyped" when I was at Cathedrals, coming out of the lava tube, the current pushed me against the side, used me left hand to push out against "bare" rock. Nothing is bare, trust me.

A month later I still had some growing in a finger I had to excavate out. Scared for life. Actually, I'm happy for the scarring, story to tell...

We were on Kauai in August - water temps 75-77 F and I've never seen more variety in wetsuits. I dove every dive with just a rash guard and shorts, was never cold even on the three dive day at Ni'ihau. Saw some people with 7mm and a hooded vest over the top. Almost everyone dove a hood of some sort and yes, unfortunately nearly everyone dove with gloves.

Maui water temps this time of year are about the same, 75-76.

Not sure the exact reason, I'd imagine it's got a lot to do with the gloves and the location most of the folks on the boats were from, but I've also never seen a touchier group of divers in all my diving anywhere. Everyone with gloves was groping, handling, grabbing everything from "bare" rock to coral to critters. It was pretty obnoxious.

If you are a petite gal that plans on diving a lot, you might appreciate the Bare. If you are a two hundred and seventy pound guy doing a dive or two you probably won't need anything. Otherwise, youmight want to bring the Henerson 3 mil with the core warmer as a backup, maybe a hoodie if you are prone to getting cold.

Without height, weight and possibly gender, there's no telling what thickness of suit you'll need.

Plan for water temperatures of 74-75 degrees. My husband and I won't wear less than a 5mm full suit in the winter, and I even add a hot pack (Hotsnapz) to my lower back, otherwise I'm freezing at the end of an hour dive.

I can tough it out with a 3/2 in the winter here, but prefer something a little thicker if it is available.

I believe you would avoid some "sideways glances" and possible insults, if you were to leave your reef gloves at home.

It has been a couple years since I have been on Maui, but the ops there were big proponents of no gloves / reef protection.

Locals: Feel free to correct me if things have changed.

Gloves on hands that are gently folded against your torso should garner NO LOOKS - I've seen more broken coral behind divers with naked hands and flailing fins than anything else!!

I'm a pianist with cold fingers, give me a break!! I just love band wagons!! :wink:

Oh yeah, I use a 4/5 with no hood all year in Hawaii, but I don't tend to get too cold.

I was just in Maui a few weeks ago, the temps were 77 to 78. Did 16 dives in 8 days of diving. Did shore and boat dives, used a 3mil one piece scubapro wet suite and never got cold once. I am 5-11 185 lb. I will be back in Maui on march 7th for anoter week of diving, Cannot wait.

I'm taking a 5mil full suit for Xmas diving in Maui.....after a few days of diving in a 3mil I get cold

Back
Top Bottom