Which wetsuit for Hawaii right now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was diving Maui 2 weeks ago and the water temperature was 75-76 degrees. B&B is now consistently reporting 75 degrees on their website. By the time I'm back in 10 days, we should be seeing 74-75 degrees at best. We've been diving Maui every Christmas for the past 6 years and the water temperature has always been between 73-75 degrees. But since everyone has different cold tolerance, I just try to tell folks what temperature to plan for and decide for themselves (sharing what we wear as well).

Also, remember to bring something warm to wear between dives as well. Air temperatures will likely be in the upper 60's/low 70's when you get the to boat ramp, then only warm up to the lower 70's by late morning. Factor in the likelyhood of clouds and a breeze, and it's tough to warm up on surface intervals without a warm sweatshirt or boat coat to wear.

A full 3m will be fine.

GET GLOVES !!!

I got "polyped" when I was at Cathedrals, coming out of the lava tube, the current pushed me against the side, used me left hand to push out against "bare" rock. Nothing is bare, trust me.

A month later I still had some growing in a finger I had to excavate out. Scared for life. Actually, I'm happy for the scarring, story to tell...

As they say - Scars make the best stories.

And your story will start: "There I was, scuba diving off Lanai..."

:wink:

Mid 70s, 2-4 dives per day, I'd be diving a full 5 mm and would have my hood and a hooded vest for additional backup. I like being relatively warm. Exposure protection is very individual.

Good diving,

Craig

I'd say touching, with or without gloves, is part of the training, and plain stupid.

The fact that some dives have wacky currents that will push you against a wall, I'd rather use a hand than my whole body.

I will be buying gloves and they will be in my BCD pockets...just in case.

I DM'ed a charter on the west side of Oahu on 12-11-11, 74-75 was the water temp. 3mm is fine unless you plan on doing more than a 2 tank charter. I had a 5.4 XCEL HYDRO FLEX and was nice and toasty.

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies! We just got back from Maui. We did two days of two-tank dives with ProDiver Maui including one Molokini back wall dive and it was great! I went with a 3 mm Henderson Gold Core plus 3 mm Henderson core warmer, and 5 mm Henderson hood. I wore one tropical glove, mainly for warmth (I didn't really need it since I try not to touch the reef) and the other hand without so I could press the camera buttons more easily. Water temps were 73-75. It was a little chilly but I managed OK. Hubby wore his 3 mm suit and 3 mm hood and also was slightly chilled by the end of the second dive but not too bad. We had a bunch of other kid stuff to pack so we were trying to save space in the luggage since my 6.5 mm suit is rather bulky. I might consider bringing the 6.5 mm next time if I dive more than two days though. Thanks for your input!

I have to admit that some of the postings on the boards had me worried that I was going to FREEZE to death diving in Hawaii. I can happily report that I was just fine with a 3mm wetsuit, no gloves, no hood, no heat pack in my suit :D

Oahu - a shorty 3mm. Maui - a farmer jane 3mm.

Water temp registered at 75 degrees. After a 4 tank dive in Maui, at dive 4 I was a little chilly but I quickly forgot about that after seeing all of the turtles and fish.

I went with Lahaina Divers and did 4 tanks the first day - morn Cathedral 1 and Knob Hill (Island of Lanai), afternoon Shark Pit and Mala Pier (West Maui). Cathedral 1 was pretty darn cool, Shark Pit (no sharks seen) was Dive # 50 for me - whoop whoop !!, Mala Pier had a TON of fish and a few huge turtles. Pretty much seen turtles on every single dive. Next day was Molokini Crater - oddly no turtles at all here. Aquarium was nice, again lots of fish and a pretty cool red/day octopus. I need to look through photos and my new pacific fish id book to be able to say which fish I saw alot of.

What you should come prepared for are the wet and wild boat rides to / fro Lanai and Molokini. I guess this is subject to water / weather conditions. At times it was like getting pressure washed by spray. My not so cheap sunglasses were ripped away when I got hit by spray while trying to save my towel !! I should have sacrificed the dry towel ! Also, I would recommend the sea sickness meds as well. That was one good piece of advice I picked up from the boards and I'm glad I listened.

Mele Kalikimaka !!

What thickness of suit is so subjective, as you've just proven. I'm not only wearing my 5mm full suit, but have layered a 3mm vest under it and use the Hot Snapz as well. My husband found his 5mm suit wasn't enough and we went to Maui Dreams to buy him a long sleeved Lava Core shirt to layer under it (which he loves and recommends by the way).

However, we dove with Lahaina Divers yesterday and without my Hot Snapz I was fine. What we realized was that we swim a LOT more with Lahaina Divers than we do with Ed Robinson's. My husband left his camera at home and we both agreed later that was an excellent choice since he wouldn't have had time to take photos until the end of our dives when we were under the boat....the guide simply moved the group too fast for effective photo taking.

We definitely had a good time and were pleased with the service that Lahaina Divers gave, however, our diving style and desires are much better met by Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures.

I have been to both Oahu and Kauai the first week in January the last two years, and I was quite happy in my 7 mm suit. I was even a trifle cool in Kauai. I also wore 2 mm 4th element gloves. The water was more like 70 to 72 degrees when I was there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have to admit that some of the postings on the boards had me worried that I was going to FREEZE to death diving in Hawaii. I can happily report that I was just fine with a 3mm wetsuit, no gloves, no hood, no heat pack in my suit :D

Mele Kalikimaka !!

I dive quite regularly and get VERY cold... I am going to be diving dry :( it was 72 degrees the other day when I was at Turtle Reef... 2200psi in tank when I came up after 27 mins I was too cold to stay down. Just matters how much you dive and how often I was in 5mil it just does not work at all.

Shark Pit is called that due to old days of whaling I have yet to see a shark there, Mala you can usually see them under the slabs and wreckage of the pier. Molokini Crater rarely has turtles as the creatures that roam there at night are far larger than you can imagine and generally would make snack of the turtles. I have a video of turtle on backwall that being said.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom