Tec computer with Trimix and A.I., is Suunto HelO2 the cheapest option?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take the $1500 you are looking to spend and buy a Petrel ($950), add $75 for VPM upgrade and spend the rest of the $$ on diving or equipment. I have used the Helo before, but there is no contest between Suunto and Shearwater.

To the OP I'd suggest that you complete your training before you make any decision on what "technical equipment" is, or is not appropriate. Personally, I'd forget about AI and Suunto. Shearwater and Liquidvision will likely provide you with the best solution; but like any piece of diving equipment it's a matter of personal choice.

I'm glad to see your enthusiasm, but you have less than 100 dives. Continue to gain experience in different diving conditions, prepare yourself through further training and study. Several good books have been suggested. Enjoy the journey!

If you want to run a full implementation of RGBM, the only computer I'm aware of which will do so is the Liquivision Xeo--it's available as an add-on from a third party vendor.

Below 150', the Cobalt runs full RGBM. Not exactly a tech computer, however.

Below 150', the Cobalt runs full RGBM. Not exactly a tech computer, however.

From the Cobalt web site:"Recreational RGBM (Reduced Gradient Bubble Model) created exclusively for Atomic Aquatics". Color me skeptical.

From the Cobalt web site:"Recreational RGBM (Reduced Gradient Bubble Model) created exclusively for Atomic Aquatics". Color me skeptical.

From the Cobalt daddy:

Where these two will definitely diverge is on deeper decompression dives. Over 150', the Cobalt implements the fully iterative RGBM algorithm. The Mares (and all other recreational RGBM computers on the market) use a "folded" RGBM- essentially a Haldanian model with some tweaks to limit bubble formation. Full, iterative RGBM can give decompression schedules that are quite different- typically more and deeper stops, but of shorter duration with possibly a lower overall ascent time. The Cobalt, to my knowledge, is at present the only dive computer that has the full RGBM running in real time- it's very computationally intensive and has usually been used to generate tables in dive planning software. It's not anything to be concerned about as a new diver.

Hi,

I dive Suunto D9TX which is a bit small from a display perspective. I use a transmitter and change gas according to my decompression schedule. It nicely provides me at one glance all information, incl. back gas pressure and it allows for setting alarms which is good for reminding one self. The disadvantage is that ist doesn't show at the same time your run times in seconds. Therefore I use a cheap bottom timer with depth gauge function on the other wrist, which works also as an back-up. It's correct to say one should dive the plan you planned, but you can even put it with the DM4 software on the Suunto. That's a great advantage, also being able to just connect it to your mac and do some air consumption analysis. I feel good with the D9 and I considered to by the Helio as I heard thez are very reliable although a bit more complex to master. I recently dove Sipadan and in my group where exclusively Suunto users

Regards
Alex@nder

Let's see, the Suunto transmitters are about $450 Suunto Transmitter 190980 with reviews at scuba.com

So let's do a sidemount dive with stage of bottom gas and 2 deco gases. 5 tanks. 5 transmitters. $2250 just for the transmitters. Would prefer to spend that money on 2 Shearwaters!!

5 transmitters would be a waste because the Suuntos only support a single transmitter. You can switch to 8 different gas mixes on the HelO2, but you get air integration with only one transmitter.

The Suunto implementation will give you acceptable deco schedules (P-2) if you don't use Helium . They will severely add time to your deco if you do. They also tend to go shallow faster than I prefer, deep stops included (compared to VPM-B).

The Helo2 does have a nice big display, however the dive time (RT) in the right bottom of the display is very, very small. I also prefer a permanently back-lit display (OLED/LED) as I cave. The ceiling and ASC information is nice and big thou.

Other than these point they are great DC's. As a side note, I owned both D9 and Helo2 which served me well when I started my tech "career", but the SW products are just in a different league.

5 transmitters would be a waste because the Suuntos only support a single transmitter. You can switch to 8 different gas mixes on the HelO2, but you get air integration with only one transmitter.

That's a little bit of an oversight...

One alternative is to skip technical diving altogether and opt for an Atmospheric Diving Suit. Money however may be an issue... :)

ATMS-1.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom