BP/W Build

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Minion_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking to build a BP/W this year and not sure were to start with the build of it. My biggest concern is that do I need to get a Single Tank Adapter for it or do cam bands work on it without the STA? I have been looking at a Hollis build but I am open to anything that anyone would like to suggest.

I am looking to build a BP/W this year and not sure were to start with the build of it. My biggest concern is that do I need to get a Single Tank Adapter for it or do cam bands work on it without the STA? I have been looking at a Hollis build but I am open to anything that anyone would like to suggest.

I would suggest you drop Jim Lapenta a note ( jimlap212@comcast.net).

If you do decide to go with a HOG wing/BP, no STA is required. Build quality and service are both excellent

My biggest concern is that do I need to get a Single Tank Adapter for it or do cam bands work on it without the STA? I have been looking at a Hollis build but I am open to anything that anyone would like to suggest.
The answer to whether you need a STA is: 'It depends', on the brand / model you select. Some manufacturer lines have slots in the plates, and slots in the wings, and you can fit cam bands through them, obviating the need for a STA. Others don't. For example, my OMS plates do not have slots, my Halcyon wings do not have slots. I use an STA with them. In contrast my Dive Rite plates, my Dive Rite wings, my Apeks plates and wings, and my Zeagle wings have slots. But, having said that, I still use a STA with them, simply because I usually disassemble my gear for storage after diving, and I don't care to un-thread the cam band buckle each time.

The argument against an STA is usually that it moves the cylinder away from your body, negatively affecting trim and / or streamlining. Of course, the movement is generally less than an inch (actually less than 1/2 inch), and for the vast majority of us that affects neither trim nor streamlining. If you are diving a big heavy steel cylinder (a HP 130, for example) the STA may contribute slightly to the 'roll' potential. But, the rate limiting step in that case is the cylinder, not whether you use a STA or not. In my individual case, using an STA, or not using an STA, makes no difference to my trim, and potential to roll. For others, that may be different.

So, why is whether you need a STA a 'concern'? Is it just trying to figure out if you will need one, or something else? Just curious.

As stated, you need slots in the plate and the wing, AND they need to line up; you also need something on the wing to stabilize the tank from rolling. HOG wings have small rolls to do that; Deep Sea Supply wings have a rubber tank receiver built into the wing.

The advantage to an STA is that you can take it off and bolt on doubles. If you never use doubles, there is really no advantage to not buying a setup that will allow you to work without one.

It wasn't necessary to use an STA with my DR Voyager XT wing and that's with a "non-Dive Rite" backplate. It works great and allows me several adjustment positions.

I am thinking of going with a Stainless Steel backplate since I dive with a 7/5 wetsuit plus hood and gloves. Thinking that with that I could cut down on some weight that I would have to wear. Are all the SS backplates the same weight or are there some variation in weights of them from company to company. From what I have found is that they are 6lbs.

Also are there any wing/back plate combos that do not work together, or do they all work universally with each other?

I am thinking of going with a Stainless Steel backplate since I dive with a 7/5 wetsuit plus hood and gloves. Thinking that with that I could cut down on some weight that I would have to wear. Are all the SS backplates the same weight or are there some variation in weights of them from company to company. From what I have found is that they are 6lbs.

Also are there any wing/back plate combos that do not work together, or do they all work universally with each other?

Most stainless plates are between 5 and 6 pounds. There are/were small manufacturers that made heavier plates, FredT comes to mind. If you decide to go with a STA then you could use a weighted one for additional weight. Halcyon makes a convertible weighted/unweighted STA but it is expensive.

If you use an STA then any combination of wing and plate would work as the bolt holes are standardized. If you decide that you do not want an STA then the slots of the plate and the slots of the wing need to line up. For example, the slots do not line up cleanly with a Hollis S-25 wing and a Hog plate but they do line up with an Apeks plate. Some wing, like Hog, have longer slots that can accommodate almost any plate. There was talk of starting a thread with slot specs for BP/Wing but nothing ever came of it.

---------- Post added March 25th, 2014 at 04:18 AM ----------

The advantage to an STA is that you can take it off and bolt on doubles. If you never use doubles, there is really no advantage to not buying a setup that will allow you to work without one.

Another advantage of using a STA is that it allows you to remove the wing from the plate without needing to unthread the cam straps. This makes clean-up and storage easier and helps prevent pinch-flats.

I use light weight low profile STA's. I use weights on my upper cam strap and the STA keeps everything and where it should be. Particularly when changing tanks over on a rolling boat.

Hollis does not require the use of an STA, it's optional. The wing comes with stabilizers that can be removed should you decide you want a SS STA. The slots for the cam bands line up with the wing.

---------- Post added March 25th, 2014 at 08:52 AM ----------

The HOLLIS STA is identical to the Halcyon, I've used both. The Halcyon weight insert will fit the Hollis but as ams511 has said it's expensive, the weight insert alone runs around $75 from memory.

Back
Top Bottom