POLL: What was your first dive computer and would you buy it again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oceanic Atom 3.0 with wireless air integration.

Yes, I would definitely buy it again... but then, I've only had mine for a month and done 5 dives with it. :)

I researched a lot first and decided I wanted to go with the DSAT algorithm in the Aeris/Oceanic/Hollis family of computers. I also decided I wanted a wrist computer, so I could use it even if I'm renting my regulator. Lastly (in priority), I thought wireless air integration, or at least the option to add it later, would be nice.

$555 for the computer, with the wireless transmitter and the data cable, from Coral Edge Adventures was the straw that broke open the piggy bank.

FYI, the Atom 3.1 is more money because they are current, not a discontinued older model. But, the ONLY difference between them is that the 3.0 has a Buddy Pressure Check feature, which someone else sued Oceanic over as a patent infringement. So, Oceanic deleted that feature from the firmware and re-released the exact same computer as the Atom 3.1.

Last note: When you read peoples' responses here, for the ones who say they would not buy their first computer again, you might ask them (if they didn't already say) why they feel that way. I saw a number of responses where I think one reason they would buy something different is that they are doing different types of diving now than they were when they bought their first computer - and they are doing different types now than you'll be doing when you buy your first computer. In which case, the fact that they wouldn't buy the same computer again might not be a good reason for you to eschew whatever computer they first bought.

Last note: When you read peoples' responses here, for the ones who say they would not buy their first computer again, you might ask them (if they didn't already say) why they feel that way. I saw a number of responses where I think one reason they would buy something different is that they are doing different types of diving now than they were when they bought their first computer - and they are doing different types now than you'll be doing when you buy your first computer. In which case, the fact that they wouldn't buy the same computer again might not be a good reason for you to eschew whatever computer they first bought.

I agree, I probably should have clarified. My intention was more of a "would you have liked that as a first computer again" kind of thing. As in, did it fulfill your purposes as a beginning diver or did you hope it would have done more/less/etc. My assumption is that most people will outgrow their first computer as their dives, training and experience get more complex.

Personally I'd like to go with something mid-range, not top of the line yet (as I will have no appreciation for it), but will allow me some growth. I plan to do local recreational dives and perhaps some travel diving, but not much more than that now. Who knows, maybe I'll be sucking nitrox by next year. Hopefully the computer I choose can accommodate that without too many other bells and whistles.

Suunto slm, first computer suunto made for divers , it worked , and was a big jump from paper tables we had at the time , happy days ,

1. Suunto Vyper

4½ years ago I got it because it was cheap and had air, nitrox and gauge modes. All have proved extremely valuable. Air mode was good in the beginning down to 60ft, nitrox mode works wonders at 100ft, and the gauge mode is usable at trimix depths (unfortunately no average depth but hey, the Vyper was cheap). The light is useless though.

2. Would I get it again? As a first cheap computer, yes. Of course there are computers with nice screens if you pay more: Nitrox computers from OSTC or Xdeep as examples.

Who knows, maybe I'll be sucking nitrox by next year. Hopefully the computer I choose can accommodate that without too many other bells and whistles.

From what I've seen, just about every computer out there, from the $170 Aeris 100 console w/computer on up, will do Nitrox. There is no way I'd recommend to ANYONE to buy a computer that won't handle Nitrox up to 40% - which is the limit for Recreational diving, BTW - something I wish somebody had told me right up front. I saw computers that went up to 50% and others up to 100% and that made me think that the ones I was looking at that only went to 40% should be shunned as being likely to outgrow too soon. Wrong. Being able to handle mixes higher than 40% oxygen/60% nitrogen is only relevant once you get to Technical diving.

Also, I don't know about PADI or others, but I got my OW certification through SDI. My dive shop had a SDI Nitrox class shortly after I finished OW. It was only $65 and it only involved one 3 hour classroom session with no dives. Just read the book and answer the practice questions ahead of time. I think it was time and money WELL spent and would recommend it to anyone sooner rather than later. You might even be able to get it included into your OW training. It's something to ask about, anyway. Even if you don't dive deep, Nitrox has benefits in how you physically feel during and after your dives.

To me, it's just one of those "too cheap and easy not to" kind of things.

Veo 200 from Oceanic with the download cable. have the computer still - sold the cable. The desktop software sucked and could never get it to do what it was supposed to. Software was so bad that the disc for it fell to my .44 revolver. Felt so good to do that after the headaches it gave me. Would I buy it again? Absolutely. The computer only and screw the downloading. Still use it as back up in gauge mode for tables.

The Aeris Manta which is the same as the Oceanic Geo is on sale at Leisure Pro for 199. My Gf has the Geo. I don't like it only because it's too small. She likes hers and even worked out a flow chart for all the functions since the manual that comes with it is garbage. As are most dive computer manuals.

The exception is Shearwater. Theirs does not look like it was written by lawyers and engineers with a sadistic streak. It's in plain English, easy to read, and makes sense. I have a Predator and it's my primary computer.

1) sherwood profile

2) No way was not upgradeable

-

This type of statement continues to boggle my mind.....

Why? You know I'm a new diver. I've read it in numerous place, including here on SB. Things like "you don't get dry mouth as bad as you do with air", and "I feel better after the dive". The former, I experienced last month. I dove air one day and had dry mouth bad enough to get my attention while underwater. I never had that the other 2 days, when I dove with Nitrox. And it wasn't something I thought about first, then "noticed". I wasn't thinking about that at all until I noticed the dry mouth, and noticed again, and about the third time, I realized "oh, yeah. I'm on air today, not Nitrox. Interesting." And yes, I do realize that's only one (technically, two - two dives that day) data point.

And the "I feel better" thing seems to be somewhat controversial because "studies" have not found scientific evidence to support this. But, what I read is that those studies acknowledge some things that render the study somewhat inconclusive, and that it is definitely possible that some people might experience some subclinical DCS symptoms after diving on air, which are reduced in effect when diving on Nitrox. One of my instructors also told me that always dives on Nitrox now because even his wife can tell the difference when he comes home after a class where he was on air. For him, it's the difference between having to lay down and take a nap for a couple of hours versus having a normal, active afternoon. Again, I recognize that's just anecdotal and I take it for what it's worth.

So, seriously, like I said, you know I'm new, ignorant, and full of "things" I've read on here - a lot of which may have been posted by ignorant people (like me!). What about the statement is mind boggling?

Hi everyone!

I've always had such great luck with gracious, helpful people here on the boards, that I hope I can gain your expertise once more :)

I am utterly new and therefore highly uneducated to scuba. I'm currently in the middle of getting certified and I'm starting to look at equipment to pick up for my own set up. Of course a dive computer is at the top of my list of things to get.

So! If you would be so kind to indulge me, can you please tell me:

1. What was your first dive computer? (brand/model)
2. Would you have bought it again as your first?

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and read. Your responses will be much appreciated!

Cheers and happy diving,

Cathy

I think you're asking the wrong question if you're looking to buy your first computer. Perhaps it should be "What would you recommend as a good/the best first computer for someone starting out????

The first answer is a good one.
"Oceanic Veo 2.

Would get it again as a first computer. Single gas, Nitrox to 50%, and a $100 download cable.

Next is probably a Petrel (or other successor by anyone) when this one becomes useless (would be on tables/gauge mode if diving more than 1 gas anyways, actually, it's always on gauge mode).

BRad "

A used Oceanic Veo can be had for under $100. i.e. 100,180,250,(new models1,2,3,)etc. User replaceable batteries and reliable.
Computers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom