Cave diver death at Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know the area as I probably have less than a dozen dives in Ginnie. A few years ago I scootered back to the Hinkle and turned. There was a jump up to the left on shelf up high. I swam back through this area. Is this the area they went into? It was definitely not scooterable from what I remember. You could have pushed a scooter through but I don't know why that would be done there. It is really sad

Maybe, if youre on the way out its on the left. Then the mainline goes down at a fairly steep angle, there's boulders and rocks on the floor, no real silt there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prc_F2ayEE0

Imo this video represents a well planned dive. They used 2 stages and dropped the scooters at an appropriate part of the cave.

I don't know the area as I probably have less than a dozen dives in Ginnie. A few years ago I scootered back to the Hinkle and turned. There was a jump up to the left on shelf up high. I swam back through this area. Is this the area they went into? It was definitely not scooterable from what I remember. You could have pushed a scooter through but I don't know why that would be done there. It is really sad

If you're headed in towards the Hinkle, there is a jump that looks like it's a bit high up (it's actually a bit of a V shape) around 2200' that goes to the insulation room. But if you're talking about Mainland, it's on the left when you are heading back out.

I knew them both and had dived with them in Bikini, Wakatobi and Truk many times, and entertained them many times here on Guam. Bob will be missed. I guarantee all the details will come out because they were very experienced scooter and cave divers, and the Cave Diving Community -- like none better -- does an expert job of diagnosing errors and helping divers learn from accidents. By the way, again I highly recommend the book by Simon Pridmore, "Scuba Confidential." Study the concept of "Constructive Paranoia," and dive safely!

---------- Post added April 29th, 2015 at 02:53 PM ----------

Diver dies at NCF spring | WCJB TV-20

I don't think the full story will come out in published form. The IUCRR hasn't published a real report in years, and there are people tiptoeing around this one. I can't recall the last time that there was an honest report about a cave fatality, except maybe Jim Miller.

At the same time, there's not really much to say here -- poor gas planning, poor team skills, poor scooter planning summarizes the entire thing.

It's a sad day.

...snip

At the same time, there's not really much to say here -- poor gas planning, poor team skills, poor scooter planning summarizes the entire thing.

It's a sad day.

I agree that may summarize it rather well, I think there is quite a bit to still be said though. Based on what we have there were quite a few things from start to finish that if done differently may have altered the outcome. I think they should be looked at in detail and discussed. And not for the intent of disparaging either diver, both have already paid a heavy price. But to help newer folks learn and to reinforce what more experienced divers should already know about proper planning and complacency.

Maybe, if youre on the way out its on the left. Then the mainline goes down at a fairly steep angle, there's boulders and rocks on the floor, no real silt there.

Imo this video represents a well planned dive. They used 2 stages and dropped the scooters at an appropriate part of the cave.

For a non-cave diver, an absolutely fascinating video, thanks very much.

For a non-diver - in the cave at any given point in time are there very few people in a cave or are there teams of folks coming and going? How busy does Ginnie Springs get - are there 5 people or 50 people in a cave in a day? And is it all hours or are most dives done in the morning or afternoon? Just curious.

I am used to ocean dives where you are limited by tides on a shore dive or when the boats run and take you to a dive site.

For a non-diver - in the cave at any given point in time are there very few people in a cave or are there teams of folks coming and going? How busy does Ginnie Springs get - are there 5 people or 50 people in a cave in a day? And is it all hours or are most dives done in the morning or afternoon? Just curious.

I am used to ocean dives where you are limited by tides on a shore dive or when the boats run and take you to a dive site.

Highly variable. Sometimes your team is the only one, other times there's 6+ teams, solo guys, classes, etc all going to different parts of the cave.

Most dives are during the day, but you can dive in the evening or at night.

Very nice video indeed. What is the average depth of this dive?

Back
Top Bottom