The Tank Brake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I respect any job, especially one, which was done from scratch.
Regardless of prise I will suggest to think for small tank сщттусешщт option and posibility to connect few "
Tank Brake" in line.

You might also consider re-taking the bottom right ad picture. No-one in their right state of mind transports their tanks valve pointing forward. See hroark2112's picture on how it's done.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

You might also consider re-taking the bottom right ad picture. No-one in their right state of mind transports their tanks valve pointing forward. See hroark2112's picture on how it's done.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Ahh that's been subject to heavy debate. If someone completely crushes your back end, have fun.
You could pad and plush your rear seat and face the valves into that.

The idea is your tank valve is rarely going to shear and project into your cabin when plushed against your seat. At worse, it develops a failure in a car crash and tank goes out of the car.
In general it's extremely hard to shear a tank valve.

Reverse that, car rear ends and crushes your car. Tank valves either shear or more likely don't shear and your tanks are pointed in the direction of you. No shear and you get a spinning tank that's pointed at you.

Or you could put them sideways and brace with weights and gear bags.

Interesting, but you should add some holes or other features so the tanks can be secured to the bracket and so the bracket can be secured to the vehicle.

As is, these minimize rolling, but do little to prevent sliding and nothing to prevent the tank going airborne in the event of a collision.

Oh, and a way to connect the brackets to each other might be useful too.

I agree, strongly. Also, my first glance response is that the item has too many sharp corners and "sticky-out" parts to tangle with or damage the surroundings. Easily bent too, without gussets.

I wish the OP well, but hard to see a compelling improvement over the alternatives in this product as it is now. especially at that price.

Hi everyone,
I am listening to your comments. It seems that the main consensus is that my pricing is too high. In light of that, I have lowered the costs on my website. Again this is all fairly new and I don't want to crash and burn on the launch pad. On a side note, I do not, and will never claim or imply that The Tank Brake will restrain your tank if you are involved in an accident or collision. Again, I appreciate everyone's feedback.
steve

never claim or imply that The Tank Brake will restrain your tank if you are involved in an accident

The name does kind of imply that, IMHO. Tank Cradle might be more accurate.

I transport my cylinders in a truck. The majority of products sold keep cylinders from rolling, but do not do a great job of preventing the cylinders from sliding to the back of the bed. I ordered a product from Competitive Design & Manufacturing.

Divers Platform by CDM

I am not against spending money for quality items that serve my purpose and I suspect many others feel the same way. For some a bunch of pool noodles from the Dollar Store work for them. For me, a stainless steel tray worked best. I think your product will work for others.

Like others have mentioned, I would like to see the ability to connect two or three (or four, etc) at the base to create a stable platform.

And here's another idea if your are looking at other things...
Most pickup trucks sold today have a railing system available or installed. Every time I contact one of the manufacturers of the tank holders to ask if the holder will fit into a Toyota rail system, I am always told that they don't know, that they sell a rail for the holders, etc. If I could find some quality holders that mount to a standard Toyota bed rail so I can secure the cylinders upright, I would definitely purchase a few. :)

The product seems ridiculous to me. In rough seas it will fly out of the holder. It will serve only to keep the tank from rolling and some resistance to sliding. These two attributes can be delivered by a much, much less expensive and obtrusive device.

I use CPV (or PVC) pipe, strung together like a ladder by rope which is covered with discarded garden hose. Generally can be constructed with scraps and not very time consuming to make. Light weight and does not take up much room when not being used.

Looks to be well made and probably uses excellent materials, but it just is not something I would consider in vessel or vehicle.

I see a couple issues. Depending on the grade of aluminum and thickness of it, flexing the arc to fit different tanks repeatedly may induce stress cracking. It's light yes but stainless would be better suited for that. Harder to bend yes but not impossible.
I'd like to know if this is 6061, 5052, etc. What gauge? Is padding to replace what's on there when it gets torn up, and it will, available? What about the feet? Slide that in and out of a truck a few times and they are gone.
The lack of holes to offer the option of lashing the tanks in some way is, for me, a negative. Right now I use rubber mats that are about 18 x 24 and 3/16 inch think between the tanks to keep them from clanking and getting nicked up. Pad the sides when I don't have enough to fill the back and nothing moves. Lay mats across the top and I have a cushioned platform for other gear.
Cost of the mats - 0. Scrap from work. I've given away a few dozen of them over the years to people.

The concept I think is sound. But as they'd say on Shark Tank, "I don't think it's a product yet. More of a concept that needs further proving and questions answered." I'm out.

Thank you to anyone who took the time to view The Tank Brake!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom