Mandatory tracking device for divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do the first two types of dives, and at some point in the future I'll be doing the third. I'm not going to carry a beacon in my pocket or anywhere else.

My family know the calculated risks I take while diving - we've discussed them and I share my predive planning and risk analysis with them so that they're aware of what my dives entail. They also know that if someday I don't come back they shouldn't launch an extensive search for me. If I'm gone I'm gone and unless the ocean sees fit to return my remains that's where I'll be. My dive buddies know who gets which of my gear if I should die while diving, and my family members know that I love them.

I think the idea of a mandatory locator is overreaching authority, and no, I'm not a libertarian. I simply have no interest in such a device.

-Adrian

Again, forget about the word "mandatory". It's an unfortunate distraction from what is otherwise could be a very interesting thread. No one is going to force you to carry any type of dive gear (with the exception of a dive flag in a high traffic harbor, maybe). You want to dive the U-869 with an aluminum 80, go for it. My question is would anyone doing big dives voluntarily carry a beacon if it was cheap and small? If you wouldn't, that's fine, but it's an interesting discussion nevertheless.

I will also point out that while I don't know you or your family, I do know a bit about human emotions. The calm, clear discussion that you have had with them while you are sitting at the breakfast table may have a different conclusion than the one that they would have with the coast guard if you ever failed to return. Whatever they tell you now, they may feel very differently if it actually happens. And they might appreciate closure. Most families in this situation do.

I have a Lifeline, and would not want to add this feature. It would ping the entire time the device was underwater? Currently the battery lasts a LONG time (you do need to check it before heading out and charge it often just in case..BUT it does last a long time). Making it ping would probably mean more dead Lifelines when someone surfaced far away from the boat than divers located alive underwater.

It's a reasonable thought. The pinger can be water activated and dives typically last an hour or two, so I would think the pinger would not use much battery if you surface.

Another idea is to use two batteries so the surface battery (live diver) is not affected.

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2015 at 08:32 AM ----------

Mandatory just rubs me the wrong way. Why do YOU (the general you) care what happens to MY dead body?

The reason for locating gear and your body, besides the wishes of your family, is to find the cause of the accident to help prevent in the future. For example say we find the problem with a braided hose that has broken down and blocked air flow (just as an example), we certainly want to know that.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread has been reported to moderators. Please focus on answering the OP's question about the availability of such a device. "Mandatory" or not, your discussion on seat belts, helmet laws, free choice, the U.S. Constitution, Magna Carta, or whatever, belongs in the Pub. This is the Basic Forum: Answer the topic in a helpful manner or take it elsewhere...or I will begin using my key to delete posts instead of the one to create moderator messages. Thank you. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

Reactions: RJP
I think once you are on the surface, there are plenty of options to notify others. I have not heard of a sonar transponder that can be carried by a diver so that a rescue party could activate it and determine the distressed, or dead, divers position. It wouldn't have to be very sophisticated, and since it would wait for activation it would not run out of juice before someone came looking.

As has been pointed out, the reason for it's use is very limited so the device would have to be inexpensive for it to have broad appeal.

The notion of mandatory is hilarious, it is not even mandatory to be certified in order to SCUBA dive.

Bob
------------------------------------
I think that advocating unsafe and dangerous practices is both stupid and foolish. That is why I don't tell people to do what I do. Dsix36

"This is scuba board, where problems are imagined or overstated......and chests get thumped about what some would do about those "problems" "- PullMyFinger

Here's one more thought for those of you who don't like the the word "mandatory"...

The OP's use of the word doesn't necessarily refer to the government passing laws mandating the use of a tracker. I think that some of us with a libertarian bent automatically assumed that was what was being suggested, but there isn't much precedent for actual laws about scuba diving. If you read the OP, government and legislation weren't mentioned.

However, lots of dive operators in my area (NYC) mandate a redundant gas supply, an SMB and a surface signaling device. That's their prerogative, and I can certainly see some operators in the future requiring transponders for big dives, if they became reliable, cheap and small.

You seem fairly presumptuous about certain things from where I'm standing.

You want to dive the U-869 with an aluminum 80, go for it.

When I've dived the U-boat I've done it on my rebreather with adequate bailout. Only a fool would dive it on an aluminum 80.

My question is would anyone doing big dives voluntarily carry a beacon...

I can't speak for anyone, but I wouldn't. Not interested.

I will also point out that while I don't know you or your family, I do know a bit about human emotions. The calm, clear discussion that you have had with them while you are sitting at the breakfast table may have a different conclusion than the one that they would have with the coast guard if you ever failed to return. Whatever they tell you now, they may feel very differently if it actually happens. And they might appreciate closure. Most families in this situation do.

Again, presumptions on your part. My family are all experienced divers. They know the risks and have accepted them for ALL of us.

Please don't presume to know how all people will react. Your experiences have no bearing on me or my family and your knowledge of human emotions has no relevance to me.

EDIT: I see a moderator has posted about keeping the thread on topic. With that in mind my input is that I wouldn't care about the availability of such a device because I have no interest in wearing one or wasting my money on it. I go diving to dive, not be tethered. Done.

-Adrian

Again, forget about the word "mandatory". It's an unfortunate distraction from what is otherwise could be a very interesting thread.

Forget mandatory? It's the very 1st word of the entire thread! The op also used "device that divers should be made to carry". Ignore that too? Why don't we get the op to ask the Mods to change it to voluntary then we wouldn't need to ignore it? I should have gone diving this AM.

I like the idea. I see nothing wrong with the possibility of increasing the odds of a rescue or a recovery should something go wrong. I see it no different than carrying an SMB, strobe, horn, whistle, etc.. if one so chooses.

Forget mandatory? It's the very 1st word of the entire thread! The op also used "device that divers should be made to carry". Ignore that too? Why don't we get the op to ask the Mods to change it to voluntary then we wouldn't need to ignore it? I should have gone diving this AM.

So why are you still posting? The OP asked if it should be mandatory, you said no, what more is there to say? Asked and answered.

I, on the other hand, think that the idea of a small transponder for divers doing big dives might be useful, so I'm discussing that. If you only care about the specific question that the OP posted, then why do you care what I write?

Personally, I like discussing things with other divers, sometimes I learn stuff that I hadn't considered previously. The thread of a good discussion changes and evolves when people listen to each other, rather than just rallying around the flag of their initial impressions.

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2015 at 01:08 PM ----------

Again, presumptions on your part. My family are all experienced divers. They know the risks and have accepted them for ALL of us.

Please don't presume to know how all people will react. Your experiences have no bearing on me or my family and your knowledge of human emotions has no relevance to me.

I don't know how ALL people will react, and I certainly don't know how YOUR family would react.

But I do know that a LOT of the friends and family members of a missing diver REALLY would like to have some information, explanation and closure. And I'm stating that based on my OWN experiences, twice in the past month, not on "presumptions". Based on frantically texting friends in the middle of the night. Based on compulsively checking and rechecking the Coast Guard website. Based on knowing that there is a big difference between an academic hypothetical and horrifying reality.

I'll take your word for it that since all of your friends and family are experienced divers, they would have no desire to find some information about your disappearance. I certainly hope that never happens to you.

So why are you still posting? The OP asked if it should be mandatory, you said no, what more is there to say? Asked and answered.

I, on the other hand, think that the idea of a small transponder for divers doing big dives might be useful, so I'm discussing that. If you only care about the specific question that the OP posted, then why do you care what I write?

Personally, I like discussing things with other divers, sometimes I learn stuff that I hadn't considered previously. The thread of a good discussion changes and evolves when people listen to each other, rather than just rallying around the flag of their initial impressions.

I’m posting because I can. So I’m being admonished for staying on topic?
Ok I’m a bad man. Don’t think I haven’t learned anything from this thread because I certainly have.

I already agreed that it could be useful for some diving did you miss that or are you ignoring that also?

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2015 at 01:19 PM ----------

I would consider buying one and using it when I dive NC miles from shore in some rough water at times..

Just in case you missed and didn't ignore it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom