Ratio Computers - Reviews? Thoughts? Info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chadmeister

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys!

I'm interested to know more about Ratio Computers. Their website shows some awesome stuff and the capabilities seem James Bond like as some of you had commented. I couldn't find them in the list of manufacturers (@NetDoc how do we get them there?). I also see that @Dive Right In Scuba carry them and seem quite enthusiastic about them (they're solid people, I sincerely don't think they'd push a product they don't genuinely like and trust). Yet I haven't found anyone actually post any first hand reviews... (Please show me a link I didn't find in the search function if I had missed it)

Some had said they were able to find a wreck in murky water using one of their functions... Interesting...

I'm not asking for a SW/HW comparison with them although I'm sure the discussion will inevitably go there. They do have dealer close to me (Saudi and Kuwait) and seem to be expanding fast. They have a YouTube channel I've looked at with a guy talking about the computer using his Italian accent (some of you might get turned on, both by the accent and computer, beware :p )... But nothing like a first hand account of what you guys think!!

So, anyone used one for around 10/15 dives at least and have comments about them?

Thanks guys!

They are an Italian company that has been around for several years with no issues that I know of. They are only now expanding their market. I have personally not used one, but they sure are loaded with cool features. Mike knows a lot about them, and I will make sure he is on top of this thread.

Hi guys!

I'm interested to know more about Ratio Computers. Their website shows some awesome stuff and the capabilities seem James Bond like as some of you had commented. I couldn't find them in the list of manufacturers (@NetDoc how do we get them there?). I also see that @Dive Right In Scuba carry them and seem quite enthusiastic about them (they're solid people, I sincerely don't think they'd push a product they don't genuinely like and trust). Yet I haven't found anyone actually post any first hand reviews... (Please show me a link I didn't find in the search function if I had missed it)

Some had said they were able to find a wreck in murky water using one of their functions... Interesting...

I'm not asking for a SW/HW comparison with them although I'm sure the discussion will inevitably go there. They do have dealer close to me (Saudi and Kuwait) and seem to be expanding fast. They have a YouTube channel I've looked at with a guy talking about the computer using his Italian accent (some of you might get turned on, both by the accent and computer, beware :p )... But nothing like a first hand account of what you guys think!!

So, anyone used one for around 10/15 dives at least and have comments about them?

Thanks guys!

Hi Chad! Thanks for the nice words about our staff, we do the best we can and we love hearing it's appreciated!

As for the murky waters, who posted that? As you said, there aren't many reviews, so I'm just curious where you found that. It's like the UW communications, yes, sometimes murky water can play with the magnetometer. Also, how much of the wreck was exposed that they were looking for? Was it wood or metal (iron)? There are alot of variables for that, but yes, the murkiness of the water can skew it's results though.

The computers are made in Italy, so on the videos you saw, it makes perfect sense. I have used one on 2 dives so far, nothing major, and it so far works as expected. It's a little big, like other Shearwaters (not the new Perdix), but it really packs a punch with features. The buttons work great with any size hand gloved or not as well.

As a company, they are very easy to work with and are working hard to be visible for dealer and consumers. They truly want to make customer service their focus, and are working hard to keep that at the forefront of what they do.

Let me know what other questions you come across :wink:

Hi Chad! Thanks for the nice words about our staff, we do the best we can and we love hearing it's appreciated!

You're most welcome!!

As for the murky waters, who posted that? As you said, there aren't many reviews, so I'm just curious where you found that. It's like the UW communications, yes, sometimes murky water can play with the magnetometer. Also, how much of the wreck was exposed that they were looking for? Was it wood or metal (iron)? There are alot of variables for that, but yes, the murkiness of the water can skew it's results though.

I'm not sure where I read it, either in the chat room here or it was another website/forum that discussed mostly Tec and CCR diving. In fact, my comment was a positive, that post had mentioned that even with the murky waters, the magnetometer was able to help locate the metallic wreck!!

The computers are made in Italy, so on the videos you saw, it makes perfect sense. I have used one on 2 dives so far, nothing major, and it so far works as expected. It's a little big, like other Shearwaters (not the new Perdix), but it really packs a punch with features. The buttons work great with any size hand gloved or not as well.

As a company, they are very easy to work with and are working hard to be visible for dealer and consumers. They truly want to make customer service their focus, and are working hard to keep that at the forefront of what they do.

Let me know what other questions you come across :wink:

Yes, I know they're made in Italy... The Italians have quite a few diving companies going for them :wink:

Thanks for getting back to me, but I am really waiting for someone to come in and give us a review that's quite detailed.

Have they done a program where they loan out a few of them to experienced divers like yourself and @NetDoc etc to write up reviews? Aqwarty seem to have worked on a program like that and word of mouth is quite important in our community... That's how SW/HW, mostly HW get to be so much out there about their products.

Anyway, I hope we get quite the detailed review with maybe a full YouTube video etc soon.

It seems like a dream computer (especially with its price point) but not much about them out there!

word of mouth is quite important in our community
Actually, word of Internet is quite important in our community. :D :D :D

Actually, word of Internet is quite important in our community. :D :D :D

So true! Hahaha

@Dive Right In Scuba also, are you guys the distributors for the US (or a region there?) or do you only carry the computers? If so, maybe a limited time only manufacturer sponsored flash sale on them to get a few people using them and reviewing them? (That also begets the question on how sales are on them but I wouldn't intrude on your business affairs and ask you something so private).

Maybe also ask them to set up a manufacturer account so we can pester them instead of you? :p

Ratio Deco Computer - does anyone know about the algorithm?

How does it work?

Ratio Deco Computer
I'm not sure that they are this. I would like to know, since the name almost implies that they are.

Ah, following the link, they use the Buhlman algorithm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom