Air2 with a BP & Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have always understood the standard configurations involving an Air2 to include a shoulder dump.

I think pretty much all the SP BC's have the right shoulder dump. But I know you could buy and put an Air2 or similar device on other BC's like the OP asked at the start of the thread. Just not sure about the other brands.

Is it possible to use an Air2 style secondary with a BP & W?

I have learned on a knighthawk BCD and looking for something less bulky for travel. I like simple things but when I dive I am normally toting fishing stuff etc and looking for a sturdy but compact no frills BCD replacement. I've looked at some of the travel BCDs but I think I would be happier with a BP&W.

On the BP&W, what do you think of the more elaborate harnesses? Are they more comfortable for warm water diving. I know the DIR people swear by simple webbing but I dive without a wetsuit 99% of the time.
I certainly do. I have an Atomic SS1 on a OxyChek wing mounted on a Dive-Rite backplate with a Dive Rite Transplate Harness. Have had for a couple of thousand dives.

You can put an Air2 on any BP/W inflator hose that I'm aware of, most of them are the generic tried and trued basic inflator. The only thing is they are normally shorter than the one you need to effectively use your Air2. So what you can do is go to Tridentdiving.com and find the replacement inflator that is the longer one with the pull dump cord inside, they have them. Get your dive shop to order it or get in from an online store. It should fit any wing.

I guess I'm just going to stick with my knight hawk for awhile. I don't dive much at all. Generally it's just a few dives when I am somewhere fishing. I understand the attraction to the dir concepts but I've yet to see a backplate and wing in the wild. The places I go tend to attract the casual divers who don't keep up with Internet forums etc.

I know enough that I ought to try it first before I make an investment.

Just because someone uses a BP/W doesn't necessarily mean they are DIR or GUE divers.
It may have started that way, but I'll bet there are more non DIR divers using plates and wings now than ever before.
In the end who cares, as long as you're getting out diving and having fun.

I just switched to a bp/w with an standard inflator and I prefer it to the air 2 on my old bcd. I think the long inflator hose that's necessary on the air 2 gets in the way when I sling a pony and I have my spg clipped off to the same side. With the new short hose on the standard inflator its always right where I want it to be and I never have to go searching for it.
I do know people who have put octo/inflators on there bp/w so it is possible. The bp/w system is great and very fun to dive.

Can a BP&W be fitted with:

Air2's?
Rapid Exhausts?
Longer Corrugated Hoses?
Chest Straps?
Shoulder Pads?
Back Pads?
Waist strap Pockets?
"Comfort" / Multi QD harnesses?
Extra D rings?
Softer Webbing?
Weight Pouches?
Etc. etc. etc.

Sure, all of the above (and more no doubt) can certainly be used with a BP&W.

I get these requests most every week. My advice remains the same:

Most divers considering a BP&W are doing so because they want better performance from their BC, and want a simpler more streamlined rig.

I encourage them to dive their new BP&W in bone stock configuration at least 1/2 dozen times before deciding they want to turn it back into the BC they were trying to escape........

Tobin

*Sees Air2 post on SB*

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom