Air2 with a BP & Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I recently purchased a new SP Litehawk. I just went and measured the entire length of the corrugated hose and it was 16". I'm going to call SP tomorrow and let them know they are using the wrong hose. :D

You know, I never measured my Hal corrugated hose--until a minute ago. End to end, it's about 13 inches long!

I think much of the disagreement about this kind of thing can be traced to the particular kit one wears.

Wearing my 1994-era Scubapro Classic Stabilizing Stab Jacket, which locates my tank *way* down my back, and has its *non-telescoping* "corrugated" Scubapro hose attached to the *front* of the SSJ, I need a longer LP Air II hose and a not-so-short corrugated hose.

Wearing the kit I described in my previous post, I find the corrugated hose fits perfectly, as previously mentioned.

I recently purchased a VDH Universal plate to use with my double hose regulator. This excellent plate is designed to place my tank further down my back (so that the "can" of the DH reg will locate between my shoulder blades). Consequently, when I wear my Hal Pioneer 27 with my VDH plate, the Hal's corrugated hose is *way* too short.

So, whether a corrugated hose is too short, or too long, or just right, depends. And, so, whether you can comfortably use an Air II with a given corrugated hose, depends.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

A 'backup' is typically on a short 22-24" hose and bungee necklace and is your backup.
An 'octo' is typically on a longer hose and clipped off in some fashion for donation to a buddy.

Yes they are both an extra 2nd stage for use in an emergency. The specific terms do help to define how they are configured and deployed.

A 'backup' is typically on a short 22-24" hose and bungee necklace and is your backup.
An 'octo' is typically on a longer hose and clipped off in some fashion for donation to a buddy.

Yes they are both an extra 2nd stage for use in an emergency. The specific terms do help to define how they are configured and deployed.
whatever helps you sleep at night.

if we're going to nitpick to that level, the term "octo" actually refers to the entire regulator setup.

i would hope most divers are more than 22" away from the reef while diving anyways !!!!!

Exactly. Like randpchi said earlier, it's not the fault or design of the equipment if it's dragging along the bottom. Any equipment not clipped off or tucked away can drag the reef. Any piece of equipment properly stored won't harm the reef at all.

I have noticed that if your not diving according to the "Scuba Board Standards" IE a BP/W your wrong no matter what to those ELITE DIVERS, so yes you can use the AIR2 but its not a good idea to say you are!!!!! But please stay at least 23" from the reef or in most of our cases if your belly is dragging so is your AIR SOURCE(oh and maybe your big console too) :facepalm::gas::gas:

I'm not sure why some believe you need to use a longer corrugated hose. i use the original corrugated hose that shipped with my Halcyon Pioneer. This hose is quite short. I am able to breathe just fine from my Air II using this short Halcyon corrugated hose.

Had a custom Air II LP hose made to better suit the short Halcyon corrugated hose.

I like to use 12" corrugated hoses. Most divers would find it uncomfortable to breathe from an air2 (or similar) with that short a hose, in fact, 16"-18" is going to feel short for most octo-inflator users. Have you tried turning your head to the right while breathing off your air2? I think the minimum comfortable hose length is also dependent on how big the diver is, and how low the BC is.

You went to the trouble of getting a custom LP inflator hose made, which is admirable but most divers won't do that.

I've used an octo-inflator, and it does work. The whole idea of donating the primary 2nd stage is a good one IMO, and honestly in many emergencies you simply don't have a choice. I have had the 2nd stage ripped right out of my mouth on two occasions as a DM. At least with the octo-inflator you know where your back up is. But to me it's far less convenient than the bungeed back up under my chin. And as an added benefit, my inflator (which I use multiple times on every dive) is as compact and simple as it can be, and I never have to alter the way I vent or inflate, regardless of which regulator is in my mouth.

To each his own.

I began diving a long hose, necklaced backup on my HunterPac (Similar to BP/W) for open water and quickly got away from it and switched to a SP Air2 5th Gen.

I have a couple reactions to what's been said. First, (personally) I'm glad I didn't buy a SS plate. I'm here in Florida where it's hot and clothing is optional. I dive steel tanks and I would be grossly overweighted. I don't dive with any weight until I get above 3 mm's of neoprene. I do like the sound of the Kydex plate offered by DSS, but I wasn't aware it existed at the time of my BC purchase.

My HunterPac has a pull dump. I'm not the least bit concerned about it. In fact, I've never used it, but it's there. I look at as just another option in certain situations.

The long hose in OW is what I would describe as an "octopus" wrapped around you. I totally get it for cave and wreck penetration, but see little value in OW. For OW I think the best configuration would be the "streamlined open water" setup. 40" hose under your arm with a swivel and 22" second over your shoulder.

As far as the Air2. I don't see the purpose of diving it unless you have a good reason. For me it is a back mounted pony (required for spearfishing). The reg on the pony gets necklaced. Is this the best configuration? No. If I weren't fishing I would sling the pony and use the streamlined ow setup. But, I need the front of my body clear for loading my gun and fighting fish and I'm not going to dive with 2 regs necklaced. That would be rather stupid.

Despite what's been said, the Air2 hose provided from the factory is too long (26"). If you're going to go with the Air2 and If you can buy it without the hose and just the special fitting, do it. I had to go with a 22" LP hose and I used the 18" corrugated hose that was already on my BCD. It is not dragging or getting hung up on anything. It sits just fine at the bottom of my peck. When breathing from it I have full mobility to turn my head.

So, my setup is basically similar to the streamlined open water setup. But instead of a necklaced second, it's on my inflator.

Now, due to the added weight and bulk of the Air2 and since my diving is a little erradict while I'm looking all over for fish and sharks, the Air2 does become a little unwieldy. To cure this I put one of those magnet holders and a second left should D ring which now keeps it secure and in place, held tight to my chest. I added a second D ring only because my main D ring is lowered all the way down and holds my naked SPG. Stringer on my left waist D ring. Nevertheless, this is probably just an issue isolated to my diving. Cruising along the reef wouldn't be much of a concern.

As far as breathing and using the Air2 goes, I've found it to be quite simple. It breaths remarkable well, but this may be due to the 5th gen design. It has the dive/predive switch so I imagine the benefit here is increased gas flow when set to dive, yet no free flows when set to predive. Very similar to many standard second stages.

For ascents it doesn't present any issues for me per se'. I've got in the habit of always ascending while holding the Air2 in front of my face as if I was breathing on it, this also give a clear view of my wrist computer. I consider it dumping practice with every ascent despite not actually breathing from it. I've had no trouble controlling my ascent and dumping gas. Of course trim is important in this regard. You can't have your bubble above the Air2 dump. But that is no different than a standard dump.

Anyway, I do agree with Tobin that it really has only one purpose... One less hose/standard reg, which could be beneficial depending on your diving. The other arguments against it are rather weak. As far as using it with a BP/W... Makes no difference. It will work just fine.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom