Dive computers of the future?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The joke about "anal probe" aside, what if we did have sub-cutaneous implants that could read our nitrogen absorption?
then we can fine tune computer to our own safety needs.

That wasn't a joke!!

There will be no need for any subcutaneous implants at all, dive computers will read vital signs and nitrogen levels externally but they will start with anal and ear probes that won't have to penetrate the skin.

Last edited:
Non-invasive anal probe. That's what he said?

Sorry, I meant that they don't have to penetrate the skin.

You get the joke, don't you?

:)

The interesting thing is that none of us are even remotely capable of predicting what they will even resemble in the future. These are our predictions based on what we see and know today. Someone could figure out another biometric measure that reveals N2 absorption. Not necessarily doppler. (This is why I dislike science fiction). ...
I disagree somewhat.

Science fiction is brought to you by many brilliant people who share their thoughts. Not random thoughts, but ideas. "Small minds deal with people. Average minds deal with events. Great minds deal with ideas." That is an inexact quote. I'll save you the trouble, just a simple search. We are all on the same page. The cell phone was predicted by Star Trek's personal communicator. Prior to that, a phone call happened at a particular time and place. If you weren't there you missed it. No recorders, no idea that it ever happened. The moment passed. Now, my calls find me. If I'm not available, they time shift so that I can still hear them.

In the past, we went to libraries or mailed letters to gain information. Now we all share the same global intelligence. Why learn anything? It will be wrong tomorrow.

We are all being brought closer together. Why? That is what the human mind was wired to do. Next breakthrough step? We become able to contact other living people in real time through a brain-machine interface.
...//... Reality seldom looks like the drawings of the past. ...
True but the ideas remain valid.

Larry Niven predicted the real threat to humanity, the tasp...

Forget the pol stuff. Looks like Peter invented Uber, Twitter too...

When you speak in broad generailities about the future, it's easy to make predictions. Specific stuff - not so much. Clarke and Asimov never quite got it right despite their brilliance with words.

...//... Clarke and Asimov never quite got it right despite their brilliance with words.
I'm not much for either of them. Far from got it right. The Decades-Long Flame War Between Arthur C. Clarke and Isaac Asimov

There are others. Just poke around for ideas that speak to you, no need to glorify anyone...

"Niven was an adviser to Ronald Reagan on the creation of the Strategic Defense Initiative antimissile policy, as part of the Citizens' Advisory Council on National Space Policy – as covered in the BBC documentary Pandora's Box by Adam Curtis.[13] The council also convinced Vice President Dan Quayle to support the Single-stage-to-orbit (SSTO) concept for a reusable space ship that led to the building of the DC-X." Based on his ideology...

Last edited:
In the future, dive computers will suffer the same fate as every other gadget: being eaten by my phone. My current model already has a barometer and is (sort of) water resistant. They will only get better. Why have a special computer for this one infrequent task?
OTOH, that iGills case for iPhone5 did not seem to take off. Anyone ever used one and care to comment?

... This is why I dislike science fiction ...
You may wish to start with Vonnegut:

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.

I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center."

I suspect we will be diving with basicly the same computers we have to day.
Probably a bit updated but basicly the same, a bit better battery life and better screens. The Galileos are 11 years old now and is still produced, sold and popular today, and like the Suunto Zoop Novo is basicly a Suntoo Vyper, wich is atleast 13 years old.
And, I susepct the market in general, wants easy to use, easy to read dedicated DC's whitout feature creep and that suits the manufactors fine since this is a very nich market.

Science fiction is brought to you by many brilliant people who share their thoughts. Not random thoughts, but ideas.

Sure, but you don't have to read much science fiction to realise how wildly inaccurate so many of those "ideas" (which I would call "guesses") were. I read a book written by Iain M. Banks recently, a highly regarded British science fiction writer. He wrote it in the early 90s but it is set thousands of years into the future, where he apparently imagined we would still use typewriters and cameras with film in them. I also don't like to criticise the sainted George Lucas, but I don't think lightsabres are going to be a thing...

Back
Top Bottom