Dive computers of the future?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Computer technology will depend a great deal on the advancements in other fields such as batteries, mobile phones, medical technology advances, etc. and thus the cost of research is spread over many other industries. I don't see the use of external noninvasive probes as far fetched possibility. The only work that has to be done by the dive industry is how to formulate these variables into an algorithm that can actually track what is happening the body tissue better than what we have today. 15 - 20 years from now is probably enough time to figure it out and have $$ for it by the dive industry. I am optimistic.

The rate of change in technology is incredible today. I'd be interested to get people's views of what a dive computer will look like in 10 or 15 years.

I think that they will be much thinner and flexible so they curve around your wrist; Batteries will be charged via some kind of wireless EMF. No buttons - all controls by touch on screen.

Perhaps some kind of venous or arterial monitoring to establish nitrogen absorption?

Better wireless integration for air monitoring?

Any other ideas?
The jury's still out on haldane vs bubble so dont hold your breath! Which of course you shouldnt do, obviously...

The jury's still out on haldane vs bubble so dont hold your breath! Which of course you shouldnt do, obviously...

I never mentioned any algo change so I won't!

If Deep 6 can sell its computer for US$139.00 hopefully within next few months, unless there is world wide hyperinflation US$139.00 should be used as the yardstick for the rest of the competitors.
A pure no gimmick dive computer is what the majority divers want.

My Uwatec Aladin Pro Nitrox is about 18yrs old and I haven’t seen any computer that could tempt me to part company.

Sure, but you don't have to read much science fiction to realise how wildly inaccurate so many of those "ideas" (which I would call "guesses") were. I read a book written by Iain M. Banks recently, a highly regarded British science fiction writer. He wrote it in the early 90s but it is set thousands of years into the future, where he apparently imagined we would still use typewriters and cameras with film in them. I also don't like to criticise the sainted George Lucas, but I don't think lightsabres are going to be a thing...

Which book? I can't remember typewriters or film cameras being out of place for the setting in any of them.

Which book? I can't remember typewriters or film cameras being out of place for the setting in any of them.

The Player of Games.

What we are seeing now is what I call the iPhone-ization of the dive computer: a few marginal improvements buried in bells and whistles, useless features, and colorful displays. What was strictly a tool is becoming a toy, albeit a useful one.

Meanwhile, the underlying science of decompression, or at least our understanding of that science, is largely unchanged.

I see this trend continuing in the future.

The Player of Games.

Hmm, it's not on the shelf. Wonder where it went. Anyway, that's the one with space empire where citizen's standing is determined by his or her Warcraft score, right? And the typewriter is the part you're having an issue with? :)

All this talk about biometrics, and Scubapro are already trying to do this stuff with their new Mantis 2. Heart rate monitor, air integration and I think temperature measurements. It actively predicts your air usage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom