Dive computers of the future?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Air integration? Invented before I started diving. Oceanic Datamaster 1985ish...

Fair enough, figuring out how to make radio work underwater, even to a one-meter radius, and WAI took another decade. None of it was a "disruptive innovation" AFAICT, but claiming that none of it changed things is I think a bit much.

The wheel didn't change things either: you could move stuff from one place to another before it, and still can.

Fair enough, figuring out how to make radio work underwater, even to a one-meter radius, and WAI took another decade. None of it was a "disruptive innovation" AFAICT, but claiming that none of it changed things is I think a bit much.

The wheel didn't change things either: you could move stuff from one place to another before it, and still can.
Underwater RF communication was already well known science at the time dive computers were created. Most likely due to the military wanting to communicate with their submarines.

Wireless AI was simply a packaging exercise.
http://users.tpg.com.au/users/ldbutler/Underwater_Communication.pdf

People talking about cost - it's about manufacturing supply and demand. More advanced computers will always cost more because less units are produced.

Yeah, my lynx is indistinguishable from orca edge.

Here's an idea: Basically, it's the Internet of Things in your body, where the Things are tissues. Swallow a pill with nano-sensors that hang around your bloodstream for a few days (and then pass harmlessly). The nanoparticles will "somehow" amplify the "rice crispy crackle" of bubbling in the various tissues and convert it to ultrasound or low RF frequencies suitable for detection by an NFC, RFID or simular receiver. The frequency varies depending on the tissue type. Perhaps the concentration of particles in the tissues is affected by the degree of vascularization, which shifts the resonant frequency of the lump of particles. The particles are passively powered by the interrogating signal from a smartphone computer, allowing remote sensing of bubbles in the various tissues.

Or, you know, how about two cans and a tube to let divers talk underwater. Oh wait, that's actually a thing at DEMA this year (...sigh...)

Yes, realtime data for N2 / monitoring of bubbles would be something. I would appreciate some more simple features, though.

- multigas analyser (Dive Soft Freedom already has an accessory for O2);
- PLB;
- SAC rate indication during the dive,
- fully featured dive planner and the deco plan on the screen (OSTC4 has something like this.)

Already now I would like to have a learning (demo) mode. Perhaps other computers have this, but with my Mares Icon HD, only the manual explains, what to do when entering into deco mode, but I cannot try this out or practise on surface. How is it with Perdix or OSTC?

Back
Top Bottom