Older Eyes --Bigger Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shearwater Petrel or Perdix. Your buddy won't have any problems reading it.

With their recent price drop, the Cochran EMC-20 (or EMC-16) [$600 & $400] is a nice readable screen and a robust computer. The wife grabbed it from me (I use it as a back-up to my Petrel), and loved it for recreational diving while in Florida. The daughter (young eyes) got her Mares Puck.

upload_2017-5-17_13-42-42.png

With their recent price drop, the Cochran EMC-20 (or EMC-16) [$600 & $400] is a nice readable screen and a robust computer. The wife grabbed it from me (I use it as a back-up to my Petrel), and loved it for recreational diving while in Florida. The daughter (young eyes) got her Mares Puck.

View attachment 410283

at that price I'd go with the Nitek Q which is still pretty easy to read with the high contrast oled

My vote is for the Cressi Archimede II. The battery is cheap, readily available and incredibly easy to change, in addition having large numbers as you require (unlike my previous computer, Aeris XR2). Plus generally affordable! I bought my back-up on Ebay for $70. Works perfect.

you could just hold any wrist mount computer as close to your eyes as needed. Kidding a little.

Don't rule out the watch style over puck size. I don't think the size of the text is that much different. I use readers and can see my Geo just fine without any magnification in the water.

I suggest a great example for us old readers is the uwatec aladin series of computers. I use the word "example" since you can no longer buy them new.

I started many years ago with a puck style (datamax?) that was easy to read. Then. Maybe not so much now. Watch size are a NO. My divebuddy bought an aladin. We have used aladins ever since. I can still read my computer. The display is large, the numbers are also large. And everything you need to know is shown on a single display (no need to push buttons or wait for a display cycle). I do not know how the Aladin compares to new computers.

It may be useful is someone (got off their *ss and) provided physical screen / individual readout sizes from various computers?

you could just hold any wrist mount computer as close to your eyes as needed. Kidding a little.

Don't rule out the watch style over puck size. I don't think the size of the text is that much different. I use readers and can see my Geo just fine without any magnification in the water.
No. By the time I hold it far away enough to focus the letters (or the light) are way too small.

I won't pay more than US$200.00 for a recreational computer.
I am also using the gauge reading mask from DGX and now Iooking at the pygmy seahorse is NO longer impossible. Diving with an 18yrs old Uwatec Aladin Pro Nitrox(conservative) with Oceanic Veo 180(liberal) as back up.

Back
Top Bottom